A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who do you knit for?  (Read 1899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atroxsilentium
Stefunny

A walk-in closet full of yarn isn't TOO much...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2008 07:18:36 AM »

I almost never have anyone in mind when I knit things.. and I am in fact just fine with FO's sitting in the bottom drawer of the dresser.

I knit because I love the process of knitting and creating something, even if it doesn't have an intended recipient.

I do have in the back of my mind that the great majority of my FO's will be gifted away to family at the holidays.. but I'm not sure if I even consider if they want hand knits. *shrug*

Do you knit with specific patterns in mind for specific people, or just knit away?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008 07:28:05 AM »

I, too, am a process knitter.  I love the feel of different fibers flowing through my hands and creating a beautiful (or not so...depends on the day!) fabric and finished product.  Sometimes I'll be inspired by something to knit it for someone, and then I'll knit with them in mind, but otherwise, I knit for me and I knit for the craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008 08:37:31 AM »

I generally find a project (in any medium since I'm a serial crafter) that I love and make it. As it develops I think about who to give it to. Sometimes there's the perfect project that just screams to be made for a specific person, though. Those are usually the projects I finish faster since there's almost always a birthday or holiday deadline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oda

Throw away your troubles, dream a dream with me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008 09:50:31 AM »

I'm the same way.  I never really have anyone in mind when I knit something, I mostly just find projects and yarns that I simply must use.  Once the project is done, then i decide who would appreciate it most.  So far, the basket on my shelf appreciates most of my knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. -Jack Handey
infernalcricket
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008 10:37:18 AM »

I usually have every intention of being selfish with my knitting. I usually find a pattern that I adore and while I'm at my LYS I see a yarn that matches perfectly with the pattern-- only to find that I'm suddenly making said object for a friend. It's sort of funny-- depending on what day of the week you find me, I might be knitting for myself and the next the same project may be going to one of any number of people.

I'm bad about giving my finished projects away. For example, I recently made a pair of cabled fingerless gloves for myself. But I ended up giving them away because they suited my friend so very well.

As for my stash, I recently went through it and found that about half of the skeins have pre-destined projects, a quarter of it is scraps, and the last quarter is just stock yarn in basic colors in case I need to whip up something real fast for a gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008 10:43:23 AM »

I usually buy yarn with a particular project and recipient in mind.  (Often, that recipient is myself. Wink )  Then, unless I have a deadline, I set the yarn aside... and when I come across it again months or years (!) later, I've completely forgotten what I bought it for.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thadley

What the hell do you need a pattern for?!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008 04:21:17 PM »

Hmm, I always start with a project for ME in mind, LOL! I'm so selfish. But I also feel like giving something I've made away is a big deal because I don't feel like a super skilled knitter and I then I worry, will they notice that one stitch I didn't do quite right or that small gap here or there...ect. Plus there's always the issue of sizing (if it's a garment). I'm small, I don't take up much yarn. So yeah, I knit for me!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara, the Craft-Rule-Breaker
"We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again..." The Eagles, Take It Easy
Skellerz
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008 04:57:40 PM »

Honestly, I generally only give away things that were easy for me to knit.
I'm never giving away my Danica when I finish it, simply because I'm so proud of it (even unfinished), and I can look at it when I get down and feel that pride again.
I refuse to be around if I do give someone a knitted gift.
I gave my cousin a scarf last Christmas and was so stoked to give it to her (it was my first one), but she opened it up and made some comment about having seen a nicer one in the store, and if I was buying her one, I should have gotten that one, not one that the machine blew up on.
She still doesn't know that I hand-knitted it, I couldn't bring myself to tell her, so I had my mom take me home.
So, I refuse to be in the same room/building/state as someone I'm giving a knitted gift to when they open it.
If they hate it, they can regain their composure and make me think it's awesome anyway.  I don't want to see their initial impression on something I'm proud of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atroxsilentium
Stefunny

A walk-in closet full of yarn isn't TOO much...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008 05:37:40 PM »

I gave my cousin a scarf last Christmas and was so stoked to give it to her (it was my first one), but she opened it up and made some comment about having seen a nicer one in the store, and if I was buying her one, I should have gotten that one, not one that the machine blew up on.
She still doesn't know that I hand-knitted it, I couldn't bring myself to tell her, so I had my mom take me home.

Geez.. that's harsh.  Sorry, that's really dissapointing.  When I give people knitted gifts, I make sure they know I made them first, that way they're aware that they shouldn't criticize it in front of me.  I've only ever gifted to people like my parents and grandparents.. and they have a tendancy to think handmade things are great.. way back to my 1st grade macaroni art Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008 06:37:18 PM »

I'm not too upset about it anymore, the cousin was 11 at the time.
She had been complaining about the scarf my grandma had gotten her (it was ugly as sin.  Like...patchwork polar fleece in the 'barf' colorway or something.  Ew.), so I figured I'd knit her one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get More Mileage Out of Your Highlights
This Is What Happens When You Stop Washing Your Hair
The No-Poo Movement
Put a Twist on the Classic Milkmaid Braid
Long Hair Dad Cuts Hair After 20 Years
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...