A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record wall hangings -- like record bowls, but not!  (Read 2829 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenevie
« on: January 08, 2005 04:43:54 PM »

After being inspired by the record bowl thread, I hit up the Salvation Army and Goodwill and bought some of their smaller records to make some little bowls. I followed the same directions (Set the oven to about 200, put the record on a bowl, put it in the oven etc.) but when I took my record out to check on it after about 5 minutes, the edges were crinkly but it wasn't soft enough for me to mold. The first record I ended up using was just really stubborn. I decided I liked the way it looked and started playing around with doing something besides a bowl...

What I ended up doing was gluing a black and white picture I'd cut into a circle onto the center of the melted record. The picture was from the back of a Reader's Digest, so it was thicker paper to begin with, and then I used plain old Elmer's Glue to coat both sides. When the Elmer's dried clear, it gave it a nice little finish too. (When I tried this on some other paper that was thinner, it just got wrinkly, but it still worked out in the end.)
I used a glue gun to mount the melted record onto a non-melted record, then glue-gunned a piece of ribbon onto it so it could hang on the wall. Then I took some beading wire and hung two flat silver beads that said 'wish' and 'believe', and a third bead that was a miniature picture frame. I was giving this to my friend Carey for Christmas, and I happened to have a really little picture of her face that I cut out and put into the frame. It worked out really well. Ta da!

I decided to do a little something different for my friend Rachel's wall hanging. She's a big fan of the painting "The Kiss," so I got a copy of the picture from her. I cut out the picture in a circle like last time, and then using a gel ink pen and some embossing powder I embossed "The Kiss" with a heart in gold on the bottom and then I (slowly, little at a time) made a border around the edge to emboss in bronze. I took a record (not melted, just regular) and wrapped some transluscent ribbon I'd gotten on clearance at Walmart around and around until the entire thing was covered. I think the ribbon was about $1.50 for 3 yards, and I used up all 3 yards, overlapping the ribbon as I went. Glue-gunned it to the back, and then glued the picture on top. I glued on some wire to hang it from, as well as some more dangly wire-with-beads and another picture-frame bead with a cut out picture of a flower from the original "The Kiss" picture in it, then I finished it off by gluing another record to the back so it would hang flat against a wall.

I made a few different ones for other people as well, but my picture got deleted off the digital camera :/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 08:48:59 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005 05:25:12 PM »

Those are very cool!   =)   

How did ypu punch wholes in the recods to hang the wire?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005 07:02:46 PM »

Woooah those things are so neat and creative! I love them! The last one is my fave. Awesome work. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
greenevie
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005 11:15:06 AM »

How did ypu punch wholes in the recods to hang the wire?

I didn't have any way to punch holes, so I just curled the wire around into a curly-Q type thing and then used the glue gun. The glue gun and I became really close friends during this project. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buttonarcade
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005 09:35:35 AM »

Those are very cool!  The last one is my favorite, also; You kind of have to look a little bit to notice it's a record.
Ky*~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005 10:32:23 PM »

Hey you!  You know...I like that second one a whole lot.  Something about that Gustav always makes me happy.   Grin  You know what would be nice?  If you, my dear, helped me take a few pictures of some of my stuff so I can post 'em. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twitching_cheerio
Moody Teen

fyi...thats not me...thats KAC :or: Kevin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005 08:17:24 PM »

wow! the last one looks VERY professional!!! its georgeous!
great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all Scars Show
Not all wounds heal
Sometimes you can't always see
The pain someone feels

|K|e|v|i|n| |A|l|e|x|a|n|d|e|r| |C|l|a|r|k|
my Anti-Drug
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding a Watermark in Photoshop
Non Destructive Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
How to Create HDR Images in Photoshop
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop
How to Use the Refine Edge in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...