A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need a vent - craft demands  (Read 1856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BelovedGoddess
« on: April 14, 2015 11:53:31 PM »

Today was at my crochet group, when a woman arrived who comes each week right at the end, doesn't really crochet but she runs a class after ours.  She has a lovely crochet bag, a while back I asked if I could look at so I might try to reverse engineer it.  Immediately she took it as meaning I was going to crochet her a bag,  she keeps asking where it is, anyway today she as she put her bag down she pronounced that she "could do with a new bag".  I chose to ignore the comment.

Now before she arrived today I was showing the circle of women a craft project I was about to start working on for another group I am in.  It's a "Altar in a tin" - based on an Altoid tin craft.  I had the tin sitting in front of me when she arrived, one of the other women told her what I was going to do with the tin.  Instantly she turned to me and demanded that I work out prices for a making them for a conference she is attending.  Told me there is a 1000 attending it.  I was dumbfounded, never did she ask me if I could make them.  Told me I had 3 months, I told her that I wasn't doing 1000, so she said "Well 50 then, you HAVE 3 months".  Told her that perhaps I could make up one and that she could replicate.  She looked at me and said "But I'M BUSY"  I tried to explain that I had only planned to work on them with about 10 friends, she muttered something I didn't quite hear. 

I could see the poor woman who brought up the subject was feeling bad for me, she tried pointing out that I work full time and have many other projects going.  Even one of the other ladies asked me about another project I mentioned, asking when I was going to start that, told them that once I get all the things I have going on at the moment out of the way I might have time for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

** 29 AGAIN?? ** Talk about recycling!! **

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015 07:38:12 AM »

I'm so sorry that you were put in that position.  There is a tremendous difference between asking for suggestions or help, and demanding that someone take on such a huge task.  No one likes such an imposition.   Mother would say, "Kill them with kindness,"  aka wish her well with HER project for the conference that SHE is attending.  Smile and walk away. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015 09:53:49 PM »

I did just that, walked away.  the next time she brought up wanting something I had made told her I was hard pressed even getting that done for myself.

But it still never ends, another friend asked me about making a dress for her, I ummed amd ahhed but didn't make a commitment.  It seems to be a very basic dress, fabric is not complicated so today I mentioned that I was still thinking about it to her.  Pretty much immediately another friend pipes up with "Seeing as you are making a dress for (name) you can make me one too".  Then comes up with a drawing that has panels, godets and in a difficult to work with fabric.  WTF? 

I'm too nice to say anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

** 29 AGAIN?? ** Talk about recycling!! **

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015 08:12:04 PM »

I'm sure that you have considered every possible way to handle such occurrences.  My sewing skills are very basic, yet I've been asked to make things as well.   My standard reply now is, "I'm sorry, I don't do personal sewing for others."  My son once told a persistent lady that I charge $50 per hour, payable in advance lol.  Upon reflection, I think he was wise beyond his 12 years, considering that the project would take valuable time away from my family.

Being nice isn't a bad thing.  Being a pushover can get you taken advantage of.  You are the only one who can stand up for yourself and say no.  Perhaps suggest to them that they take a sewing class.  Good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
RovingAnarchist
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016 06:16:33 AM »

Hmm...

Projects you don't really want to work on should be chargeable at a rate based on a formula such as this:

Your before-tax wages at your full time job x 3
+ materials for the item(s) in question x 2
+ family and friends hardship fee (you won't be able to spend time with them if you're working on these items) $75/hour regular time or $250/hour for special ocassions
+ d-bag penalty 25% of total from above amounts

Based on:
 average US hourly wages of $21.33 x 3 @ 1 hour per tin $63990

Blank altoid tin on Amazon $4.19 = $4190.00
Miscellaneous decorations, paint etc. at $2.50 per tin $2500
1 hour per tin hardship fee $75000
D-bag penalty $36420

Her total cost to have you produce the tins for her convention is $182100.

It might be more if you have family gatherings in the time frame.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I carry a bag that says FREE KNITTING LESSONS on my daily transit commute, & give a little hands-on tutorial to anyone who asks. They get a starter kit with needles, enough cotton yarn to make a plain dishcloth and a set of instructions. Swaps/donations for materials welcome!
grufflepuff
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016 12:14:57 PM »

Hmm...

Projects you don't really want to work on should be chargeable at a rate based on a formula such as this:

Your before-tax wages at your full time job x 3
+ materials for the item(s) in question x 2
+ family and friends hardship fee (you won't be able to spend time with them if you're working on these items) $75/hour regular time or $250/hour for special ocassions
+ d-bag penalty 25% of total from above amounts

Based on:
 average US hourly wages of $21.33 x 3 @ 1 hour per tin $63990

Blank altoid tin on Amazon $4.19 = $4190.00
Miscellaneous decorations, paint etc. at $2.50 per tin $2500
1 hour per tin hardship fee $75000
D-bag penalty $36420

Her total cost to have you produce the tins for her convention is $182100.

It might be more if you have family gatherings in the time frame.  Grin

Whoa! I would spend three months crafting 1000 altar-in-a-tins if I were guaranteed $180000+! "Hey, work, yeah...sorry, I won't be coming in for the next three months...I got this really lucrative job offer and I'm gonna have to take it even though the person offering the job is kind of a jerk. Gotta get paid!!"

Then again, something tells me the lady in question would be one of those "You want HOW MUCH for this little thing? It's made out of garbage! I could make this myself if I wanted to. I'll give you $5, take it or leave it." kinds of people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for poly-clay earrings: one bacon, one fried egg. Also, a mishmash of red/orange/gold bracelets--beaded, braided, bangles, whatever! If you have the supplies, let's talk! (Please?) I'll swap all kinds of things in return!

http://www.pinterest.com/kaeorin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
You Need To Follow These Plus-Sized Fashion Instagrammers ASAP
Glow & Go: The 1-Step Hydrating Mask
The Ultimate Luxury: A Home Nail Salon
Kiss Dry, Aging Lips Buh-Bye
DIY Acne Spot Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Star Chandelier
May 4, 2016 Featured Projects
I propose a toast!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...