A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first try, and what I learned... (and cute onsies...)  (Read 997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2008 07:30:51 PM »

My first experiment with stenciling was to create some cute onsies for a girlfriend's baby shower.  I had success and failure, and overall a fun time!

I searched high and low for the evasive freezer paper, and have come to the conclusion that at least with plastic I can re-use the stencil!

I argued with my exacto knife and decided to spring for a fancy swivel thing which was worth it's weight in gold!

So without freezer paper, instead I looked for overhead projector sheets.  Finding none, I settled with a set of thin plastic binder dividers, a great price at only $1.77!  To solve the problem of "unstickyness" I went with Elmer's spray adhesive, which can work for a temporary tackyness if sprayed and left to dry for 10min.  I printed my picture, and sprated adhesive to the plastic, waited for it to tack, and stuck it on my paper.  (I first found it still to be too sticky, and the paper stuck too much, so my second try, I first stuck it to my pant leg to make it a little less adhesive).  After the argurment with my exacto knife, (brand new), I tried my new fancy swivel "Shape Express" and it went sooooo much quicker!  And it looked better too!  I re-applied the the adhesive, (it lost it's tackiness over night) and next I mixed my paint with the fabric medium, (as I've been told to do by the great posts around here) and went to work.  My first attempt was pretty dismal.  What I learned:

The fabric medium said one part medium to two parts paint.  I found that when it was closer to half and half, the paint flowed a bit better.  I was scared about seepage (sp?) and didn't put enough down and the edges looked crappy.  So the next try I put too much down, and there was a crappy looking ridge at the edge.  The perfect solution was to put lots down, but then "empty" my sponge brush on paper, and sop up the excess so it was nice and smooth!  Oh, and my first attempt also looked crappy because I didn't wait long enough for it to dry, and since the adhesive was *too* tacky that try, it pulled at the fabric as I took it off and added to the crappy edges.  Patience is a virtue, they say!  Next one I did the pant leg thing again, and waited a good hour before seeing my results!  Oh, and on my two tone stencil, I found that the adhesive stuck too much to the paint below (dry ofcourse) and sort of crapified it a bit.  Next time I'll just leave the paper on those parts.  Easy fix!

So with out further ado...  My first FAILURE: (It looks worse IRL)

My first Success:  

My not quite perfect, but not a failure:

And my iron on just for fun.  Just a side story here.  My girlfriend's hubby wants to name the baby-to-be "Jacques" because of an inside joke from years ago.  My girlfriend HATES the name, but he won't let it go!  Bit of an inside joke...

It says "Hello, my real name is..."  She'll hate it.  He'll love it.  It might never be worn, but the laughs will be worth it!

And my new discoveries:

The cool swivel knife thing, (Fiskars Ultra ShapeXpress) took some getting used to.  But once I had it, I FLEW!~

I always get so much help from Craftster.  I don't know if this will help or not, but it might give a few ideas!  Thanks to everyone for all their posts and inspirations!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 07:34:25 PM by nomij » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008 07:42:23 PM »

Very cool! I love them all, even the ones you said you "failed" at look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008 05:49:47 AM »

Wow I love them, a brilliant first try to be sure!!  And also very helpful info about your first time as I would really like to try stencilling myself (and also couldn't find freezer paper anywhere!) and hopefully you've saved me some shouting and swearing Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoredYetCynical
durka durka

Hey, Hey, I wanna be a rock star.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008 09:56:28 AM »

I love the Hello my name it one. I thought about doing that for my son with one his plain white onesies. I was going to do Hello My name is Boog! One of my nicknames for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This is way beyond my remote concern of being condescending"

Baby Sean Born on Nov. 11th 2007
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Pictures of Lightning with a D-SLR
How to Know Whether The Nikon D700 or D300 is Right for You
How to Clean the Sensor of a Digital SLR
Canon EOS 1000D Camera Review
How to Photograph Fungi
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...