A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Input on my wedding ideas (image heavy) **UPDATE** Pictures pg 6**  (Read 6909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 10, 2008 09:59:25 AM »

I just got engaged on December 22! Yay!! We are getting married on August 16, 2008. Not a huge amount of time to plan, but doable. I already have loads of ideas and plan on doing most things myself (with my mom's help). I have picked colors. The inspiration comes from hydrangeas:

I found a great idea for a candy bar that matched my colors:

My future sister-in-law is also very crafty (She works for Creative Memories) and she made a save the date/announcement for us.

I also want to use those blue/green ball jars on the tables somehow as centerpieces. I'm not sure how I'm doing that yet.

I'm looking for any sort of input or ideas you might have. I need all the help I can get!  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008 03:54:11 PM by ehinders » THIS ROCKS   Logged
monica_thompson
It's Momica! Mother to everyone--whether they like it or not!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008 10:46:43 AM »

Auuugh...maybe a bit late, but go now and buy as many Christmas decorations (on Clearance) in your colors as you can find.  Use them for decoration, as favors, and any you have left and don't use (or you do use) can decorate your tree next Christmas...GO!  NOW!!  SHOP!!!
(Yeah....I'm that bossy...okay, not really, but I wish I had done this when I got married)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grant me the strength, endurance, and focus to see it through.
star_inmypocket
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008 11:00:24 AM »

Congrats! Just a thought, if you are doing a candy bar, how many guests are you having? Because the container in the picture doesn't seem to be that big. Just a thought, if you are having quite a bit of guests, vases of the candy might be nice.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy. What right have we then to depreciate imagination? -Jung

http://LuluMcCleary.etsy.com
http://thelifeoflulubelle.wordpress.com
http://pinterest.com/lulumccleary/
ehinders

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008 11:07:25 AM »

Yeah the pic for the candy bar is actually a favor box, but I thought about just putting similar colored candies in pretty vintage glass containers like ball jars and green depression glass on a table and having little bags for the guests to fill their own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008 12:14:48 PM »

You have such a lovely start!  I love your colors and the hydrangeas.  And I second monica_thompson - hit any clearance sales you can!  Stuff like ribbon and silk flowers are so much cheaper if you can pull them out of "after holidays" sales.  It's like buying all your ribbon, bows, yarn, tissue paper, etc after Christmas - they have lots of stuff that can be used any time stuck in with the Christmas stuff.  You may find stuff after Easter as well.  Maybe even some Valentine's Day pastels.

My daughter had hydrangeas at her wedding, mostly pulling out the lavendar and green colors.  It was lovely.  Costco had two-sided wired ribbon that was lavendar on one side and green on the other.  We bought a ton (and coincidentally, so did her florist).  They had it again at Christmas this year.  Maybe they'll still have some.

We bought galvanized metal buckets and other containers (like those metal tin bucket type things that are kind of flattened and shaped like hearts).  We painted hydrangeas on the outside of them (that Donna Dewberry painting stuff, she has a sheet showing how to do hydrangeas - surprisingly easy).  We used those for all kinds of stuff - to hold silverware at the buffet, hanging on the ends of the pews, sand and candles, etc., etc., etc.

Only other advice is get some ribbon in the shades you are going to use and then carry them with you everywhere you go - you never know when you'll see something and it's a lot easier to match it to something you know is right instead of guessing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
*MAR*
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008 12:29:12 PM »

Excellent colour choice! I used similar ones for our second reception. Since DH's favourite colour is blue and mine is green, it worked well. Some things that we did that might work for you, were our tissue paper flower decorations:

We made our own "vases" with oatmeal containers and paper, it sounds weird, but looked pretty:

I stocked up on Dollar Store lanterns in the summer, in blues and greens. We had these lining the loooooooooong driveway up to DH's Aunt's house on shepherd's hooks, and then we had large ones inside our tents (the big ones I got on line at an Asian resource):

We made our own mix cd's for favours, used all blues and greens:

Our invitations were handmade, fairly inexpensively, printed at home, we used rubber stamps for the embellishments and embossed them. DH's Mom did the wonderful calligraphy by hand:

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I love hydrangeas, and this colour combination. It is so versatile. Congratulations!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ehinders

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008 10:27:18 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I did manage to pick up some stuff on Christmas clearance. I got 10 balls that look like they have a billion pearls glued on them. They look cooler than they sound! Smiley Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I think they fit in well with the whole shabby-chic eclectic thing I have going on.
Here's a pic:

What does everyone think is the best option for invitations? I am in law school so I'm very busy. Not sure how much time I have to spend on them, but want to stay fairly inexpensive.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008 10:50:25 AM by ehinders » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ehinders

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008 12:51:56 PM »

Okay, so I started to work on invitations. I came up with two different ones and would like opinions. I'm not crazy about the first one, but the second one seems very simple. What do you think?

Oh, it added extra white space on the side of this one when I saved the file as a JPEG, but is regular invitation size without that space.

Also, this one got blurry a bit
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cellojenn
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008 01:00:28 PM »

i personally really like the first one! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008 01:23:53 PM »

ok this is a little off topic but,

we have the same first name and you're getting married a day before my 21st birthday xD

now on topic!

you could fill the glass jars with those glass stones and then put a bow at the top of the jar and fill it with hydrangeas. You could also use the bridesmaids bouquets as the centerpieces for the head table :3

THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh Thai Spring Rolls Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Pork Ball Soup
What is Young Ginger
What is Thai Basil
What is Tamarind
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...