A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cashmere ?'s  (Read 461 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mooshie
« on: January 10, 2008 09:39:49 AM »

so, I'm just wondering why it is that cashmere is so expensive? and where does it come from?  can it only be found on the top of mt. everest, so it's very rare, and very hard to get?  I love the stuff, and may, one day in the far off future, after I've perfected my spinning technique that I haven't even learned yet, spin with some mixed with wool.  but I don't understand why it's so darnd expensive?? 

and has anyone here spun with it? is it as fabuolos to spin as it is to knit?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008 12:16:09 PM »

It comes from the Cashmere goat.
Quote from wikipedia "Sometimes the fine fibers are collected by combing the goat; either method is time consuming and tedious, thus the high cost of cashmere."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashmere_wool

I haven't spun with it yet but it's soooo soft, I'd like to one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008 01:43:58 PM »

maybe I should buy a goat? lol if I only had the space huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008 06:06:32 PM »

My bf would like to have a pet goat one day Smiley  Maybe I should try to convince him that it should be the cashmere type.  We dont have a yard for it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008 06:04:12 AM »

I have spun cashmere and its a dream, however due to ecological hazzards I have been boycotting cashmere until the raising of these goats is more closely monitored and the desertification is stopped. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003498352_cashmere282.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008 06:15:38 AM »

A lot of what you see is markup, multiple dealer pass-through, plus countervailing / anti-dumping duty, which is a special tax that the USA imposes on import goods to protect the price.
Cashmere should never be more expensive then quiviut and I have seen it marked way the heck up. It's goat fur. Nothing wild or amazingly special. Beautiful, sure... warm, sure, great to work with, sure - but worth $150 an ounce?! Doubtful.
I've made chinchilla fur in to "yarn" (more like thread), albeit 4" pieces, if you want to talk soft!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stripey_cat
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008 08:37:28 AM »

It's expensive compared to wool because you get a lot less per goat!  You get a few ounces from each goat, because you only use part of the coat.  (You know how a lot of animals have a lot of coarse hairs to shed water, and then a fine down underneath them to trap air?  Cashmere is that down from goats.)  In contrast, you get kilos of fleece per sheep per shearing, and most of that will be usable from most modern breeds (Icelandic and a few other northern breeds have the same double coat as goats).  $150/oz is taking the mick, though (unless it's something really special!) - I know I can get white superfine here in the UK for 13/100g, and coloured and lower grades are cheaper.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008 12:38:41 PM »

I have never heard of cashmere going for $150 an ounce. I've found it for around $10-30 an ounce.
While I agree that alot of the cost of commercial cashmere comes from mark ups and whatnot, the  high cost comes from the fact that an individual casmere goat produces only about a half pound of useable fiber a year.

About the boycott: There is still domestic cashmere from local farms and they are not in any way shape or form contributing to the dust problem.

Also, this I'm not 100% sure on so maybe someone here can verify or debunk, but I think that while there is a breed of goat called the cashmere goat, cashmere fiber can come from any goat as long as it's the down fibers and meets a certain fineness.

As for expensive, there are some fibers that make cashmere look downright economy. Vicuna goes for around $200 an ounce, and guanaco, buffalo (bison actually) and qiviut goes for around $30 an ounce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
OOTD: Vest and Jeans
Movie Inspired Halloween Costume Ideas
Hang Time With Jenn Im: Feral Creature
How Can You Dress Like a Countess?
3 Ways to Wear Sports Luxe Tops
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...