A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you cut resin with a clean finish ?  (Read 1186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

schtickl
« on: January 10, 2008 09:35:50 AM »

Hey guys! Im having a problem with some of my resin jewelry I made last night. - I made it around 8:00 p.m. and its now 11:25 a.m. the next day. They seem to all be cured and ready. Anyway, i was putting resin on top of some "doggie-tag" like things and they didnt come out the way i thought they would. I mean, they look great but the problem is that for most of them the resin seeped over the edges and now i have to cut it to fit the "doggie-tag" like thing.  They arent coming out "neatly". Here are some pictures.

I put these charms on wax paper and they seem to come off PRETTY easily with the one bad thing being some of the wax paper comes off with the excess resin.

I tried to cut off the excess resin off of these but they dont want to turn out as good as I'd hoped Sad Any suggestions?

This one did NOT leak over the edges of the doggie tags (THE ONLY ONE that didnt >.< GRR) and look how perdy it turned out!

Suggestions of how NOT to let this happen again and definetly how i can save these pendants/charms would be amazing! Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 09:45:23 AM by schtickl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5488961
zen-art-gallery.deviantart.com

SoRo Jewelry Design
txgirlinaz
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008 10:10:35 AM »

I would cut the resin off with some tiny curved manicuring scissors then maybe put another VERY thin layer of resin on top again just to be sure all the edges are sealed. The trick to making the resin not stick to the edges it to have them raised while curing. I lay mine on top of a plastic ice cube tray on the middle partitions and let the excess drip into the little holes , works like a dream. Any excess resin stuck to the backs can easily be peeled away. I've also heard of people putting a few pennies under each piece just to raise them a bit and give them a more "domed" appearance.

Very cute! hope this is comprehensible and helpful. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my little shop =)
http://www.msbojangles.etsy.com
schtickl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008 10:13:45 AM »

Thanks so much! SO i guess ill be using the last itty bitty ounce of resin i have left Sad boo Hoo! So i CAN fix it by putting it raised and pouring a tiny layer on top and letting the excess stuff drip?

As long as i can fix it, im happy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

SoRo Jewelry Design
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008 10:29:28 AM »

they'll be cute though!

only other thing i'd add is to use a bit less resin, but basically keep working with it and you'll get the hang of it!
  i live in a (wonderful) crooked little house built in 1897, if i don't make sure my table's level all my stuff is thicker on one side, or runs to one side!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schtickl
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008 10:32:23 AM »

Your house sounds awesome! haha - yet difficult to do resin in hehe ^.^

yea thanks - last night when i did it i figured that it would be easy to cut off... Guess not. :S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoRo Jewelry Design
schtickl
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008 10:33:15 AM »

Maybe Ill just peel the resin off the entire things and redo em? The stickers inside are epoxy stickers so i dont think theyll peel off too :S - I shall try! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoRo Jewelry Design
schtickl
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008 10:38:06 AM »

W00t!!! I tried one and the epoxy sticker did NOT come off! I REPEAT the epoxy sticker did NOT come off! w00t mission accomplished Cheesy I guess ill peel it off everyone of them and redo it?

any suggestions on redoing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoRo Jewelry Design
schtickl
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008 02:42:21 PM »

Yeehaw!! hehe ^.^ I just used some sand paper to sand the edges and it looks REALLY professional Smiley No redoing them for me, thank god!!! I really didnt feel like using the last of my resin haha Smiley Ill post pics asap
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoRo Jewelry Design
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Priceless Advice From Stylist Kate Young That Will Cost You Almost Nothing
Teen Vogue’s Online Fashion Editor’s Personal Style Tips
Things You Need to Get Rid of by 30
Best Dressed at the 2014 ESPY Awards
How to Distress Denim at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...