A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Scarf of Christmas Future  (Read 884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: September 14, 2008 12:53:37 PM »

Marley was dead to begin with.  But Scrooge, with his penchant for turning off the gaslights in his house, had only a newly-knit scarf for keeping out the draught.

Knit scarves were cheap, and Scrooge liked them.  He forced poor Bob Cratchitt to work day and night, his fingers numb, on this very scarf, just to keep Scrooge's elongated neck toasty and warm in the frigid London air.

Scrooge, who battled with then-unknown sensory integration disorders, enjoyed methodically rubbing the nubbles of his new article of clothing.  He particularly enjoyed carressing the scarf when denying his employees an extra shovel-full of coal in the fire.

After visiting with the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present & Future, Scrooge decided that he loved his scarf so much, that he would have Bob Crachitt make identical ones for everyone in London-- and he would pay Bob a fair wage for his work!  God bless us, everyone!

The End.  DH, I mean Scrooge, will now show off the ends I have yet to weave in, due to laziness and ineptitude.  This is my first real honest-to-goodness FO.  I have heretofore made a quickie cell-phone case and a huge, chunky, finished in no time garter-stitch striped scarf.  This is my first time making a pattern with any effort. 

It's done in some wool-ease 20% wool 80% acrylic stuff, double-knit b/c my swatch in single looked skimpy.  It's 2x2 rib in the "body" of the scarf, with flared trapezoidal ends.  I didn't do any increases; the natural changing of knits to purls did it all by itself, which was my intention.  Close-ups:

Finally, I present to you, complete with grease stains, a fruit sticker, and many revisions, my pattern.  I followed the idea of the grid, but not the pattern, b/c I increased it to 30 stitches wide. 

Should I block it?  It's kind of lumpy due to having needles stuck in various points over the past 3 years (yes, that's how long this took me).  Sigh.  I'm not sure if knitting is so relaxing for me!  But at least it's done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 01:00:09 PM »

Very nice!  I like the scarf, the photos are hilarious.  BTW I'm hopelessly in love with your wingback chair!!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
myklia
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008 01:03:22 PM »

I want to be a fly on the wall in your house.  Your posts are so entertaining and with your husband modeling.  Every household should be like yours. Cheesy

Great job on the scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blackberet
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 02:04:50 PM »

Adorable!

Well, I was talking about the scarf, but your post and your husband too. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quad Mom
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008 02:35:19 PM »

Unique scarf and very unique presentation!  Thank you for the treat of a wonderful tale and series of photographs!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quad Mom's Happy-Goodness Bloggie:
http://qmchronicles.blogspot.com/
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008 07:33:08 PM »

i love your scarf, and your model!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyingsockgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008 07:35:25 PM »

I must say, marvelous costuming! Between the hat and the scowl, I would not have recognized your hubby in the first pic were it not for the chair you reupholstered!

You two are craftster celebrities  Tongue

Weaving in ends does suck, but you can cut the yarn off after weaving it through the first few stitches Smiley
Seeing as your yarn is mostly acrylic I don't think blocking it would do much good. It looks lovely and hardly lumpy from the pictures, though. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
CraftyLittleDevil
Mostly harmless

the tooth fairy is a mountain devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008 08:35:33 PM »

I love your posts- your stories and your husband's posing always make me giggle a lot.

The scarf is lovely, congrats on your first real FO. I'm impressed that not only did you broaden your knitting skills, you made up the pattern too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Dye on Garments
How to Apply Tie Dye
How to Make a Camouflage Tie Dye
How to Tie Dye Patterns on a Skirt
How to Create Stripes in Tie Dye
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...