A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute Pet Trick or Prelude to Obsession?  (Read 409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

infernalcricket
« on: January 09, 2008 05:22:17 PM »

So this is my first post, but I was compelled to pose the following to you lovely Crafters:

So I was walking around campus (I attend UCSB) this evening and I noticed a high volume of knitted goods. Granted, most of these knitted goods were purchased at Abercrombie and Fitch, but a goodly amount of it was handknit.

Along with the observance of these handknits I noticed, likewise, that I was recognizing maybe... 85% of the yarn used in these items (scarves, hats, gloves, etc). Not just by a vague "oh, I think I've seen that in my LYS" but a "oh, Lion's Brand such-and-such a color in Homespun."

...What do y'all think-- should I be worried about this newly-found ability?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008 05:23:06 PM »

nope...comes with the territory, i'm afraid Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
superchloe
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008 05:28:23 PM »

no, don't worry. I do that too.
actually.
yeah, it's become pretty obsessive.
haha, seriously. Do you go around identifying what's hand knit versus machine made too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
infernalcricket
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008 05:31:40 PM »

Ehehe. Yeah. I do. I'm actually sort of freaked out by what I like to refer to as "Wall of Knit" (as opposed to Wall of Text)-- that's a huge sheet of machine knit Stockinette stitch. It's so... perfect.

I'm always bothered by machined cables, too. They look so incredibly fake. I have, however, found a machine cable on a Land's End cartigan that looks incredibly real so I'll wear it. I've pointed it out to my non-knitting friends and they just laugh at me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008 09:44:26 PM »

Oh yeah. My local wool shop had a sale the other day, some stuff was sold unlabelled (guess from dye lots that went wrong and didn't match any of the existing colours, so they flog them off unlabelled to preserve the brand name). Staffer gave me a ball and said 'this is on sale for $3' and my immediate reaction was 'ohmyGod that has silk in it! Is that the Merino et Soie?'

I'd call it a Stupid Human Trick. Although when I pop in when they open the doors the morning of first day of the sale and everyone else is pawing through the synthetics for $1.50, and I can score something for $3 that is normally $9.60, feel quite pleased with myself. Handy trick e.g. at garage sales to recognise either fibre content or brand and line of the wool.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cdngreenie
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008 10:07:14 PM »

at least you're not stalking people because you want a better look at the toque/sweater/scarf they're wearing... I feel vaguely pathological, but I. just. can't. help. myself.  I want a better look at the knits!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

infernalcricket
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008 11:58:59 PM »

@ cdngreenie: Ahaa! Yeah. I've been known to follow someone around with a piece of paper and a pen, scribbling down patterns from whatever they're wearing. I do a lot of machine sewing in addition to knitting so I have a double threat when it comes to vaguely socially unacceptable actions. Don't feel bad, I'm sure we're not the only ones (...at least I hope not)!

@ redwitch: Hehe. I've done something like that, but it's usually with bolt fabric. My ability to tell the cotton content in fabric amuses and impresses my friends and family. Always best to know your fibers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008 03:27:27 AM »

Don't worry. I do it with techniques. I mentally jot down a list of all the steps needed to make that one. And then make a better one in my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
infantkittensyringe
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008 07:51:36 AM »

It's not just a stupid human trick. Asking someone if they knit their hat/scarf/etc. and if it's such and such a yarn and if they liked working with it is as good as a secret handshake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008 08:35:27 AM »

Think of it as a super power- tada! Yarn Girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Braided Ponytail
How to Create the Faux Bob Look
How to Create Glamorous Waves in Your Hair
How to Do a Low Textured Ponytail
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for an Oval Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...