A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Entrelac help?  (Read 479 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lacklustre
« on: January 08, 2008 08:34:07 PM »

I've been following the Yarnpath guide to entrelac, and so far it's been going well, but I'm a bit confused by one of the instructions.  After I create my first side triangle, the instructions say to pick up 8 stitches - but which needle do I pick them up on?  And when I pick them up, am I just grabbing the stitches, or am I knitting them at the same time?  There's no image provided of this, so I'm afraid of messing it up.  Does my question make sense?  Can anybody help?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008 08:46:32 PM by lacklustre » THIS ROCKS   Logged
massiekur
weasley is our king!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008 09:10:18 PM »

Your question is a great one! you pick up the stitches by knitting them on using the right needle.

http://z.about.com/d/knitting/1/5/k/1/-/-/Picking_up_stitch.jpg

that picture shows someone's needle in stitch, ready to be knit on. if you need anymore help, just ask! I am stuck on the second part, but I know how to pick up stitches! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patters..." by Dumbledore Pg. 73 "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008 09:52:32 PM »

Pretend the side of the triangle is your left needle and insert your right needle (it should have a stitch on it with the yarn coming off it) into the first st of the triangle as if you were going to knit a stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
elijor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008 05:56:38 AM »

Criminy Jickets instructions for the Garterlac Dishcloth include a link to a picture tutorial that I think does a great job of showing where to pick up the stitches. The link is at the end of the first paragraph
(Edited April 29, 2007 to indicate that a pictorial tutorial can now be found here.)

Sorry I can't link straight to it but that site is blocked at work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lacklustre
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008 09:58:49 AM »

Pretend the side of the triangle is your left needle and insert your right needle (it should have a stitch on it with the yarn coming off it) into the first st of the triangle as if you were going to knit a stitch.

Um...no, the stitch with the yarn coming off of it is currently on my left needle.  I don't understand how I can use my right needle for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lacklustre
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008 11:23:49 AM »

Okay, never mind, I figured out what I was doing wrong as far as picking up stitches go.  But now the directions say this:

Turn and P8, turn
K7, SSK, turn and purl back.

Continue this way until you have incorporated all 8 stitches from the first pass triangle.  Congratulations - youve made your first block!

I don't understand what it's asking me to do here - what is meant by "incorporate all eight stitches?"  If I'm doing a ssk every time, aren't I continually losing stitches?  And when it says to turn and purl back - how far do I purl back?  After doing the first pass through and having turned and gotten ready to purl back, there are 15 stitches on my needle, seven of them from the stitches I picked up (minus one because I did ssk).  Do I just purl these seven, then go back and K6 and ssk, then purl those six, turn and K5 and ssk...and so on?  Is that what's supposed to happen?  I wish these directions were clearer.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008 11:25:02 AM by lacklustre » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008 11:42:27 AM »

Yes, decreasing and using up those sts is what it means to `incorporate all 8 sts from the first triangle' Incorporate them into the SSKs is what it is. And you have it - when you purl back, its on sts you did the row before, so the next purl row would be 7 sts, the next purl row 6, etc. After a couple rows you'll see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
lacklustre
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008 11:49:19 AM »

Okay, I've finished the first block of picked-up stitches, and I'm finally starting to see how it's working, although I'm sure I'll come running back for more help when I get tripped up again (which is likely!).  Thanks so much for all of your help and advice, guys! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
picketywitch
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008 01:54:44 AM »

I have now managed to get the picture tutorial mentioned to load and this has answered the question. Sorry!!

Forgive me for sounding stupid, and I should admit that I've not actually tried entrelac yet (I have another project on the needles at the mo and am making myself finish it before I can "play" with new things).

I understand how to pick up stitches (I think) and know where to get them from, but how does the other side of the work get joined in? The picked up stitches are the "bottom" of the skewed square, and the top and one side of the square will form the base/side of the next pass of squares, but how does the other side get joined to the existing base square? I've read most of the tutorials recommended, but can't get my head round it.

If it's just one of those things that is obvious when it's on the needles, then I'm sorry but I like to try and get my head round a concept before starting a project.

Thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 04:16:12 AM by picketywitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 1/2
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Savoury Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheesy Pizza Dip Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...