A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,773
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sizing issues  (Read 388 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bijou_raoul
« on: January 08, 2008 05:35:33 PM »

I've been knitting for a while now, and I really thought I knew what I was doing until I finished my last sweater. I made a Dollar and a Half cardigan and I hate it. I really think it just looked better in the magazine. I'm ready to frog it already and I just finished it two days ago.

The biggest issue is the sizing. It fits alright around the bust, when it gets to my hips that's another story, but I decided not to put any buttons on it so I wasn't too concerned. However on my arms it is very tight. I've noticed this happening with a few of the sweaters I've made. I consider myself average-sized and well-proportioned (except for my abnormally long torso, but I find ways to make that work), but for some reason when I make knitted things meant to fit my size bust-wise, I end up feeling like my arms are big fat sausages or something. It's horrible. I've thought of making the arms bigger but I feel like that would make the rest of the sweater look bad. I wouldn't even know where to start.

I measured myself and with my normal bra and t-shirt that I would normally wear under a cardigan, my bust is 37" (a far cry from what my measurement is without support, but you didn't need to know that). If I want a sweater that fits, ie it hugs my body without suffocating it, what size should I be going for? It seems no matter what I do I can't get anything to fit me just the way I would like it to. Any recommendations at all? I'm running out of ideas... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xchinagurlyx
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008 05:30:04 PM »

I'm still working on making a nice-looking sweater (I'm close!  I just need to do the neck edging and my first flattering sweater will be done), but I've learned to ignore the "to fit bust size ___" and just measure the (okay, store-bought) sweaters that are flattering and knit to that size.  I've found that adding extra stitches to the front helps to accommodate my bust (and then I decrease to what my band size is so that I don't have a lot of extra fabric at my armpits). 

Also, I've shied away from a lot of patterns that I liked because the sleeves measure about two inches wider than I'd like them to, but I read the sleeve tutorial in the Winter '06 IK and now I know how to rejigger the sleeves to fit my arm and the sleeve cap.  So you might want to look into that. 

And I'm more interested in making sweaters that will look good for my body than to put difficult techniques in (although I'd gladly do something hard if I think I would look good in the end result), and Ravelry has been a great help because now I can look at a bunch of modeled pictures of a sweater that I'm interested and see how it looks on different body types.  I apologize if you're still waiting to get in, but it really is a cool site (not just entertaining but helpful too -- how often does that happen?)

Someone here (the maker of the Herringbone Sweater?) had a detailed tutorial on how to make a sweater that you'll really love, but I've been too lazy to do it since it involves pinning down jersey fabric and trying it on several times, but it sounds like a great idea to have a life-sized template to measure and work off of. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijou_raoul
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008 01:47:55 PM »

I've been on Ravelry for a while but have just started to look through the different sweaters I've made/want to make (they're the only thing I knit anymore) and it's definitely handy for looking at how they will fit on different body shapes. However people rarely mention what size they're making.

I've also read several different places that it's best to measure a sweater that you already have that fits you well & make the size that best matches that measurement, but never thought to actually do it. I will probably have to get on that. However I have very few store-bought sweaters anymore. Maybe I'll just have to go shopping!

Thanks for the suggestions.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008 04:43:38 PM »

Make the sleeves bigger. It won't look weird if it fits you properly. In fact, it will look better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matthew Van Fleet’s Sniff! Lick! Munch!
The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
The Imitation Game
Behind the Book: The Tangled Series
Who Built the First Computer?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...