A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I love Bicycles! Swap?  (Read 1940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

!b
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008 03:03:17 PM »

lindsoriah- I highly recommend going to your local bike shop and testing out a few road bikes. I didn't think I would use mine often enough either and I first tried out a mens bike that was a little too big and thought "I will NEVER ride a road bike! It's too hard!" Eventually I went back and test road the Specialized Dolce Elite and the difference was huge! I felt like I'd never ridden a bike before, this thing was a dream, it fit me perfectly, my ride was super smooth and I kept up with my boy. I never wanted to get of the bike.  Tongue Needless to say that it is the bike I now own.
For me the women specific geometry made a huge difference as I'm fairly short. Men's bikes just didn't cut it for me, I had no stand over and the geometry was just awkward.
Can you tell I am completely obsessed with my Dolce?! I try to convince EVERYONE that they need to be riding bikes!

half pint!- I'm glad you found this thread, your crafts totally inspired me to swap bike related goodies!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008 03:07:28 PM by !b » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsoriah

In character at all times

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008 06:29:51 PM »

Thanks, good to know.  I've tried out my boyfriend's fixed gear and it was pretty sweet but his road bike has clips so i can't ride it.  I guess I need to go to a store and see about this geometry business!  Til then i'll be huffin it up like a badass and confusing the bike mechanics on my 80 pounder, haha.

I am STOKED about getting some bike swag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
Kaissa
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008 07:51:45 PM »

It's not sad to already dream of riding your bike!
I have a trainer for my bike and I still wish it were summer ever single day!

And Kaissa- we could always do sign ups next month since there are already tons of swaps going on right now. Sign ups ending in mid-February and send dates being end of March would probably be perfect. Everyone would get their bike related goodies just as it starts to warm up!

I think I could do it if sign-ups were next month. But I don't want to hold anyone up - I can always catch the next round.

We currently have about 3 feet of snow on the ground, and I am really missing my little pink beach cruiser right now. Sad As soon as the roads de-ice, I will be back on it! I have months to wait though. Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged
!b
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008 09:31:03 PM »

Eeep, it snowed big time here in the past few days and all I can think about it getting my bike off the trainer! Riding inside is oh so boring.

I foresee having a bit more time next month so I think we will start sign ups around the first week of Feb and let them go for a week or two, maybe we should call it the "I miss riding outside! Swap" since we all seem to miss riding in the sunshine.

Even my boy has been brain-storming for these projects and its extra cute! I also think there should be posted pictures of all out bikes in the swap thread! I love showing off my babies.

From Portland's Bike Craft Fair! Which is so neat! The t-shirt on the table with the heart is my favourite!

If you search Etsy for bikes you also get some pretty cool ideas!

Bike chandelier how-to for the more ambitious folk.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_candles/article/0,2025,DIY_13748_5282897,00.html

Rubber stamps out of tires so you can tread mark EVERYWHERE.

http://www.mydiyproject.com/diy/cr_rubber_stamping/article/0,2025,DIY_13775_5282896,00.html

Tread Belt!
http://www.instructables.com/id/TREAD-BELT/?comments=all

So as you can see, the brain storming never ends! I'm really excited
THIS ROCKS   Logged

!b
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008 09:34:45 PM »

Really ambitious project with if you had a beast of a sewing machine,,, I think I want to try this out.

Fabric from the inner tubes!

http://www.modern-fabrics.com/blog/12/bicycle-tires-on-the-right-path
THIS ROCKS   Logged

half pint
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008 10:29:55 AM »

hey, that pic you posted is of my friend, she is the most amazing crafty lady i know. i've got the patch with the rodeo biker on a jacket. funny to see that picture on here....
i can't wait to do this swap....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

I have a little geek in me. Do you?

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008 11:49:05 PM »

I am so in when this swap happens. I am anticipating it so much, that I am going to not sign up for any more swaps so that I won't be overwhelmed with multiple swaps.

Please, Please do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

!b
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008 09:21:17 AM »

Half-Pint, it's so col that I posted a picture of your friend!
I thought that the whole Bike Craft Fair thing was sooo cool and now I totally wish I lived in Portland!

Ladies!
I am starting out on a questionnaire, any suggestions for questions you would like to see included?

Here are my main q's. Tell me if you think I've missed anything. I will post sign ups in the next week or so and have them extend into the first week of Feb.

What kind of bike do you ride/what kind of riding are you interested in?
Where/when do you ride?
Where is you bike stored?
What would you like to/have the abilities to send? (Basic what crafts do you do question)
What kind of things would you love to receive?
Favourite colours/patterns? Or colours and patterns that go with your bike.
Favourite bike image or quote?
Include shirt size, wrist size, preferred necklace length if you are interested in receiving any of these things.
Shirt:
Wrist:
Necklace:
Anything you would NOT like to receive?
Other info that would be useful for your partner?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 09:22:43 AM by !b » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsoriah

In character at all times

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008 09:25:43 AM »

Looks good !b.  Looking forward to Swap Time!

Maybe ask about specific biking needs/items they would use (tube protectors, handle bags, water bottle holders, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
!b
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008 10:50:38 AM »

Oooo, good idea!

I also think requirements should be reasonable while leaving room to have a lot of fun and produce high quality items so I think I am going to say craft a minimum of 1 large, 1 medium and 1 small but you can, of course, make say 2 large in total or something similar. Switch it up depending on your partners needs. And, as always with swaps, talk to your partner! You can always decide to send more or less.

Is everyone good with those size requirements?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Martin Leicht and Isla Neal on the Inspiration Behind "Mothership"
Mark Nepo on His Book "Seven Thousand Ways to Listen"
Susannah Cahalan on Her Book "Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness"
Sheryl Brady Presents Her Book "You Have It In You"
Alfie Boe Discusses His Autobiography, "My Story"
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...