A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baltimore Knit Graffiti (semi pic heavy)  (Read 1975 times)
Tags for this thread: street_art , graffiti  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuzukiBeane33
« on: April 23, 2008 02:13:25 PM »

I've never been very involved in street art, but when I saw a few websites about knit graffiti, I knew I had to give it a try!!  These pictures are from my second tagging in a wonderful underpass at the local park. 

Here's a wide shot with my friend in the middle of the frame- the little bit of bright pink on the tree to the left is the cozy! 

(I also never noticed the giant white robot/crab/skull thing high up on the wall until I loaded the picture onto my computer...)

And a shot of the patch I added (embroidered on felt):

Made sure to incorporate the environment around the cozy (or vice versa?)- sorry for the kind of crap photo:

And some of the sweet-ass graffiti in the area (Check out the small "Baltimore" written under the pink tag- love it!)

Doing this has made me so much more aware of tagging and the spirit of different abandoned areas around the city.  I can't wait to do more!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008 02:18:00 PM by SuzukiBeane33 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.bl ogspot.com
rainbowshoelaces
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008 02:27:57 PM »

that's so cool!! what are the websites out there with more info on knit graffiti? it sounds so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008 02:31:41 PM »

(I also never noticed the giant white robot/crab/skull thing high up on the wall until I loaded the picture onto my computer...)
It's from Space Invaders! Smiley

I loved watching the graffiti on the train ride into Toronto when I went to Canada a year ago. I remember seeing a tag "Loaf" everywhere, and started looking for it. Graffiti has always fascinated me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
ronarayas

rocking your world since 1987.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008 07:34:51 PM »

Maryland represent!
I think we live in a very artistic, creative, clever, and beautiful state. I have seen some of the most beautiful art at Artscape and Crafty Bastards... I just don't understand why people would ever leave!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm glad I haven't found my style yet. I'd be bored to death."
-- Edgar Degas
katafi

This monkey's gone to heaven.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008 06:47:59 AM »

This totally rocks! Yay knit graffiti! I love the hot pink color you chose too. Awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlestellarbeam

I will live in kindness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008 07:40:04 AM »

I love it!! I can't quite make out the web address on the patch...oops just realised it's in your sinature at the end *runs off to take a look*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beastie
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008 07:45:27 AM »

that's so cool!! what are the websites out there with more info on knit graffiti? it sounds so awesome!

I think Knitta Please! is where it all began...

I love this. My ex was a wannabe-Banksy, and we planned to do some duel tagging/knit graffiti outings, but then he got busted for it Cheesy That's the bonus with knit graffiti - you don't end up with paint splashes on your clothes and hands!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be your teenage jenny agutter, swimming naked in a pond

________

ravelry &
LJ &
last.fm
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008 05:25:14 PM »

Hi Everyone!  Thanks so much for your wonderful comments.  I'm sure my fellow Craftsterettes understand how much they are appreciated  Grin

Yeah, as far as I know, Knitta is the main U.S. group involved with this.  I sent them an email to get on their list and am still waiting to hear back.  Has anyone else been in contact with them or similar groups?  Just curious.

Orrkid- thanks for the Space Invaders tip!!  You can tell I wasn't allowed to watch much t.v. or play many video games as a child  Tongue  Love it!

Ronarayas- where in MD do you live?  I've been thinking long and hard about having a get-together at the Ottobar in Baltimore for people to knit different types of craft graffiti. 

I recently took a long plane ride out to San FRancisco and spent it knitting little mushrooms and spores.  I ended up not putting anything up in the city (due to multiple factors) although I did leave a few of the spores with my aunt in Oakland.  Pics to come soon!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.bl ogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
American Hustle Interviews
Zombies Help Kids Learn Movie Making
Sherry Lansing: The Role of a Studio Head
Sherry Lansing: Strong, Honest and Nice
Sherry Lansing: The Fight to Make a Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...