A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fiber type versus warmth?  (Read 512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superchloe
« on: January 08, 2008 02:05:30 PM »

Hey everyone!
For the last couple days, we've had unseasonably warm weather (mid 70s. yeah. it IS january).  It's going to get cold fast, and I was wondering what fibers you all would say are warmer than others. Does alpaca really insulate better than wool or plain old acrylic? are they really that advantageous over cotton? what about other fibers: corn, nylon, etc?
thanks in advance for your help!
-Chloe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samistrange
Being surly is my superpower.

Yeah yeah, blah-dey blah blah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008 03:38:14 PM »

I love wool blends and cotton blends, but I recently picked up Bernat's alpaca blend for some mittens. Lemme tell ya, those suckers are toasty! I'm definitely an alpaca fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://gaugebeforebeauty.blogster.com/

Of course tattoos hurt...they're applied with needles, not kitten whiskers and bunny tails.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008 07:14:55 AM »

Alpaca is very warm. So is wool. Cotton can be but it's better for cooler weather not cold you know? I also find it's nice in the summer because it breathes really well.
Depending on who you are making the item for I'd check if they are allergic to certain wools or natural fibers. I'm allergic to alpaca and angora but most wool is fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stripey_cat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008 08:15:59 AM »

It matters!

Cotton, linen etc. are fairly cool.  Acrylic is less warm than animal fibres, but warmer than cellulose fibres.  Wool is moderately warm.  Silk is pretty warm, but not quite as good as alpaca, cashmere etc.  Also, animal fibres tend to be better at drawing sweat away from your skin, so you feel less clammy.

How the fibres are spun matters too: a fluffy woolen yarn is warmer than the sort of worsted you'd use to weave for a suit.  Brushed mohair and fluffy angora are warmer than smooth yarns of the same fibres.  Basically, the more air trapped in the yarn, the warmer it is.

On the flip side, the fluffier and softer a yarn is, the less resistance it'll offer to wind and wet.  This is why thrummed mittens (with very fluffy wool roving lining a shell made from tightly spun and knitted yarn) manage to be veyr warm and windproof at the same time.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacquiw
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008 01:09:56 PM »

I am a spinner and Alpaca is warmer than wool definately and you don't need to knit or crochet it as thick. So a sport weight as compared to worsted . Also chiengora ( dog hair and no it doesn't smell like a dog when wet) and mohair(goat) are also very warm fibers, these on their own or blended with wool will be very warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superchloe
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008 12:07:51 PM »

the reason I initially asked was because I wanted to find out what the general consensus is in the knitting and crocheting community, just out of curiosity for my science fair project. I worked with stefferroo, another craftster. We created a science fair project out of it. If you'd like to more, it's over on the knitting board:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=198537.msg2105385#msg2105385
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Learn Tie Dye Techniques
How to Tie Dye a Cotton Bag
How to Tie Dye a Spiral Effect
How to Do a Dip Dye Effect
How to Tie Dye Baby Clothes with Vegetable Dye
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...