A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CP and lye?  (Read 809 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

urbanhula
« on: January 13, 2008 05:14:25 PM »

hi guys,
might be a stupid question but... is there any way to make cold process soaps without the lye?
thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008 08:34:06 PM »

no, lye is what makes the soap (the process is called saponification) from the fats and oils in the mixture
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008 08:27:23 AM »

If you are still too nervous to try cold process, but you want another choice other than melt and pour, you might want to look into hand milling. It is pretty labor intensive, but you can make gorgeous, all natural soaps, without having to start from scratch.

Basically, hand milling is taking already made CP(cold process) or HP(hot process) soap, shredding it, melting it with water, and remolding it. (You can't use Melt and Pour Base or commercially made soap for this, it has to be basic soap, like handmade soap)

This is also called "re-batching", and is often used by CP soap makers to save a batch that didn't turn out quite right. You can purchase re-batch or hand mill base from some suppliers, or contact a fellow soap maker and see if they'll make you a few pounds of unscented, basic soap. A soap maker will probably charge less per pound, and you'll be spreading the crafty love to another soap maker.

You can find directions on hand milling on this thread:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=179369.0

There are also some books out there full of hand milling recipes. Check your library for "The Complete Soapmaker" by Norma Coney. That's a good one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Skin Care Recipes, Articles, & More on my Blog:
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com

FromNatureWithLove.com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Craftsters get 7% off at checkout using discount code: CRFTR584
mkohut
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008 11:14:01 PM »

You can get vegetable based fats to use in soap from a craft store.  Also, cocoa butter can thicken the soaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008 11:59:07 PM »

You can get vegetable based fats to use in soap from a craft store.  Also, cocoa butter can thicken the soaps.
that is true, but she will still need the lye to create the chemical reaction if she starts from scratch

but the handmilling is a neat option, i might try that, its like m&p, with a few added steps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008 06:38:23 PM »

This is also called "re-batching", and is often used by CP soap makers to save a batch that didn't turn out quite right. You can purchase re-batch or hand mill base from some suppliers, or contact a fellow soap maker and see if they'll make you a few pounds of unscented, basic soap. A soap maker will probably charge less per pound, and you'll be spreading the crafty love to another soap maker.

Wow, you just reminded me of tons of shreds I have put away for use in "confetti" soap. I bevel my soaps and hate to throw away shreds. Maybe I should try swapping them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008 09:38:44 AM »

That's not a bad idea! Considering how expensive re-batch base can be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Skin Care Recipes, Articles, & More on my Blog:
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com

FromNatureWithLove.com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Craftsters get 7% off at checkout using discount code: CRFTR584
CraftieMommie
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008 05:09:00 AM »

At this point, I'm thinking that Hand Milling is the way I plan to go also. Is it really as bad as all the horror stories that are out there? I've done the melt and pour, and read the re-batching instructions, and while it may seem to be a bit of a pain, it really doesn't come off as that difficult to me. Or am I just naive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Euphony
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008 10:25:48 AM »

At this point, I'm thinking that Hand Milling is the way I plan to go also. Is it really as bad as all the horror stories that are out there? I've done the melt and pour, and read the re-batching instructions, and while it may seem to be a bit of a pain, it really doesn't come off as that difficult to me. Or am I just naive?
I don't think it's that difficult per say - but personally I've done it once and won't do it again.  The finished product is less than attractive to say the least and I'm sure I'm just not patient enough with it - I'm not a fan.  Some people love it.  I think it's a great way to go if you don't want to make the soap from scratch, but you don't want to do melt & pour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Zoom Tool in After Effects CS3
How to Use the Zoom Tool in Flash CS3
How to View Rulers in Flash
How to Whiten Teeth and Eyes in Photoshop
How to Create a Video Tribute using TheOneAbout.Com
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...