A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chunky Book page swap!  (Read 5270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PurpleHeather
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008 04:08:22 AM »

*nods*  I was wondering too - lots of the places I've seen mount*board online list its thickness in millimetres, i.e. 3mm thick, which is apparently 0.118 inches.
I was worried about people being able to make holes in stuff if it is too heavy, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2008 05:48:07 AM »

I  think as long as you can punch a hole using a standard hole punch it should be okay. I wouldn't use anything too much heavier than say, shirt cardboard (the thin stuff that comes packed in men's shirts) but it should still be nice and sturdy. I would love to use some of my massive chipboard stash for this, but I could only do that if I cut the holes for my partner myself, so no one gets hurt trying it with scissors! ... I'll have to think about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008 05:59:44 AM »

In the US, mat board is the stuff that is used to go around a piece of art when it is framed -- it doesn't go *under* it (which I suspect mount board does), it goes around it to enhance the item being framed or to fill in a frame (or both).  Here's a picture of what I mean -- the mat board is the white part around the photos:
http://www.picturethisframed.com/wall.html

3mm sounds about right to me in terms of thickness, as long as it's not some sort of super hard board.  I use a paper hole punch (that requires a hammer) to punch holes in mine.  You can also take them to a copy shop, where you can get them "drilled".

You don't have to use mat board -- but it's important that your page have some weight to it, that it doesn't bend the way plain old cardstock does.  You want it to hold up whatever embellishments you put on it without warping.

My favorite way to construct these pages is to use 90lb index cardstock (which I believe is the equivalent of 165gsm).  This is the kind of cardstock that is used to make report covers.  I cut one piece to 4x4 inches, and a second piece to 3-7/8x3-7/8 inches.  The full size piece is the front, and the smaller piece is the back.  I cover each piece with whatever I want on the front & the back (I do mixed media collage, so in my case, this means a lot of paper and paint), then I glue them back-to-back.  That way, I end up with 4 layers -- from front to back, these are collage, cardstock, cardstock, collage -- which are quite sturdy.  You have to use a very good glue to make all these layers secure.

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008 06:03:07 AM »

No problem Cheesy

With a Feb 13th sendout, when would we get partners?  My mid-Febriary holiday is messing timings up for me, so it may be that I sit out the February rounds and instead join in March.

If we sent on Feb 13, I'd open sign-ups now and close them on January 30.  Partners would be assigned on the 30th.  Everyone would have two-weeks to craft.

The initial sign-up period will be the only time to join.  If you think you need to sit out the first round or two, please make sure that you sign-up when I open sign-ups, and then let me know that you want to sit out a round.  There will not be another opportunity to sign-up.

I really want to open sign-ups now, but I've told so many people that it will be the 4th, that I'm hesitant to do so.  Please let me know what you want, and I'll go with the preference of the group.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 06:04:16 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008 06:56:11 AM »

I think you should open them now and post perhaps in the other thread about early sign-ups....otherwise the dates are pretty close between sign-up and send-out if you want the first to be Feb 13. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008 07:18:16 AM »

I'm game either way.

For thickness of pages, I use matboard also.  Sometimes I use my kid's old board books (my son tears them up so I recycle them by using them for these) and those work well too.  You can use a piece of corrugated cardboard by wrapping it with scrapbook paper.  Cardstock glued to any food (cereal, crackers) boxes works great too.  Just make them STURDY.  Layers is the key.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just_lisa
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008 08:14:10 AM »

I don't care when signups are, I just want IN!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Colorfuldayz
Colorfuldayz

www.Colorfuldayz.com

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008 08:26:04 AM »

I don't have a preference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008 08:37:19 AM »

Sign-ups are open!!!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=222843.new#new
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008 08:44:51 AM »

In the US, mat board is the stuff that is used to go around a piece of art when it is framed -- it doesn't go *under* it (which I suspect mount board does), it goes around it to enhance the item being framed or to fill in a frame (or both).  Here's a picture of what I mean -- the mat board is the white part around the photos:
http://www.picturethisframed.com/wall.html
I thought it's that stuff. It's called passe partout in French and Finnish, I supposed it's that in English too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Brick Oven Style Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
Bacon and Escarole Pizza Recipe
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
How to Cook Bacon Perfectly
How to Fry Bacon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...