A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pooh-licious infant mittens  (Read 1441 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_mitten  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2008 05:10:39 PM »

I was chatting with my friend, a mom-to-be, today, and she mentioned wanting mittens to keep the baby from scratching himself.  I tried googling for a patten, but was overrun by knitting and crochet patterns.  I found one for fleece mittens, but they seemed really large.  So I experimented a bit, and came up with 3"x5".  It looked right.  Also, I had no tiny velcro or elastic, nor did I want to attempt to sew my own tie (or really, turn it inside out).  So I went with some ribbon from the stash.  Hopefully the mom-to-be can figure out a good way to make it work.  Smiley

Here are two sets.  I still have some fabric left.  So if any moms would like to give feedback on the size (3x5) or ideas on on a way to cinch, please let me know.  I could probably make 2 more pairs Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008 05:37:50 PM »

so cute!  i love your classic pooh fabric.
  i made a set of fleece for a coworker of the DH, and i used a single gathered stitching line of elastic thread, like you would use for shirring.  it gives a really gentle stretch but it won't leave a line on a new baby's skin. (which is something i noticed in the cheapie ones i had bought when my daughter was born.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
fitofhonesty
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008 05:39:06 PM »

They look adorable!

I used mittens on my infant for all of 2 days..(My son absolutely hated mittens.) But in that time he wasn't all that active, so truthfully the ribbon should be just fine loosely tied (I know all babies are different, but I've never seen an extremely active newborn..)

Come to think of it, it was probably the elastic that was annoying him so badly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008 06:03:25 PM »

... i used a single gathered stitching line of elastic thread, like you would use for shirring.  ...
hmmm  never heard of this before (never tried shirring either LOL).  I might have to look around for it and see if I can find it.  Does it sew just like other thread?  Do you have to do anything special when threading the machine?  Or do you just do it by hand?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronzfrog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 06:09:28 PM »

My mom made her own baby mittens and some for the grandbabies as well.   Looks pretty similar to yours.  She used flannel.  She braided baby yarn and sewed it in the seams like you did.  The yarn tied into a bow on the other side of the mitten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 11:46:39 PM »

They look great!  I have made some using the elastic thread method, but I also have made a small casing with bias tape and then threaded elastic through it too.  Neither of my girls dealt with booties or mittens too well.  But I have stubborn children.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008 09:12:00 AM »

i just did it by hand, since the opening was so small for the mitten.  i kind of did an invisible stitch, and the gather was quite minimal, since it was for a newborn.  just enough to give it a bit of stretch.

when you use the elastic thread for sewing in the machine, you have to wind it onto the bobbin by hand.  it does sew a bit weird, but you get used to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Photos Outdoors
How to Photograph Pets
How to Photograph Kids
How to Photograph Objects
How to Photograph a Sequence
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...