A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm on a sewing rampage!  (Read 3075 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , bag , plaid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

may
In Bernina we trust!

Cat - I'm a kittycat, and I meow, meow, meow...

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2005 06:01:05 PM »

As a Christmas present, my mom got me a vintage (I guess? It looks that way, I don't know how old it is) sewing machine. A Bernina 530-2, if anyone was interested Smiley
Anyway, I'm still a sewing newbie, but I LOVE IT.
I should be cleaning the apartment, doing the dishes and doing laundry, but instead, I sew Smiley
Since my boyfriend and I never use the kitchen for eating in, it's like my own sewing room!

Anyway, here's some stuff I've made since Christmas.
I'll just put it all in one post, even though I guess they should be in different forums..

First thing I did was to make a skirt out of an old pair of loved sweatpants. They were holes in them, and they were REALLY big, so I thought I'd make something smaller out of them.
I doubt that I'll ever wear this skirt outside because it's very short, but I think it was a good newbie project (even though I did make some mistakes).
The second picture is of a flower-type thing that I didn't have much success with. I made a mistake that was painfully obvious without the "flower", so I thought 'Better this than nothing!' Smiley

The plaid skirt took quite some time. I've never fiddled around with zippers before, and it was really hard for me in general, because I made it from scratch without any patterns or anything. It's not perfect, but I guess that's the charm with making your own clothes Smiley
I found the fabric at a thrift store, it was actually a curtain and cost me 40 SEK ($5 USD)! Quite a bargain, if you ask me, because I still have some fabric left from it.

A few days ago, I was in horrible womanly pains, and mom had an old heating pad-type thing that I borrowed, but after using it a while, it kind of started to smell like cat pee. It didn't surprise me, because a few year ago, my mom used to hade two un-neutered male cats that peed EVERYWHERE.
The fabric around it was really old and worn out, so I thought I'd update it a bit. No big project, but I'm still very fond of it Smiley

And last, but not least. I made this today!
In some way, I've managed to misplace my very old make up bag, so I thought I'd make one out of some old fabric instead of paying a lot of money for something that's so easy to make.
I got this fabric from my mom. I L O V E polkadots, but I haven't had anything small to make (it wasn't a lot of fabric).
I got bored around midnight and had nothing better to do Smiley

I put some soft fabric inside it, just because I thought it would be cuter that way Smiley
Even though I'm going downtown to the sewing store tomorrow, I was too lazy to wait until then to buy a zipper, so I just sewed on some button-type things that came with the sewing starter pack I also got for Christmas.
It kind of looks like a little purse when it's filled Smiley
I don't know why, but this project has been my absolute favourite! But I guess it might be because I'm in love with the fabric.

Sorry for making the post so long, I'm just so proud that I actually managed to make these things myself. I'm a biiig procrastinator and I'm really not good at anything, so it makes me very glad to see that I can start something and actually finish it!
Right now, I'm working on a 60's type swing skirt. It will be adorable! I'll probably wear it every day Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005 06:03:56 PM by may » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love cats. I love tea. That's me in a nutshell.
Twisted_angel
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005 06:10:01 PM »

wow you are really good for being a new sewer (is that a word?)  l really like the red skirt and the makeup bag
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatecello
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005 06:34:55 PM »

yeah i agree, great job for being new! and i like the plaid skirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happify
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005 07:50:27 PM »

Oooh, I have a Bernina too (well, I'm "borrowing" it from my Mum -- I just make sure to make her pretty things), and I LOOOVE it.  Is yours as heavy as hell?  Mine's a 500, and weighs a ton, which I like 'cause then I don't worry about breaking it.  And it handles a couples of layers of felt with no problem.  It's an awesome machine.  Yours probably *is* vintage, but that just means it's built well.  They are still highly sought after machines.

Fun projects -- I just made a heating pad cover too.  And I like the curtain-to-skirt -- I'm gonna try something like that.

Julia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitaclaw
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005 07:57:17 PM »

the plaid skirt is really cute, and i also like the makeup bag--the two patterned fabrics actually go together well! you give newbies like me more confidence! thanks for posting this cool stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
may
In Bernina we trust!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005 10:15:55 PM »

It is heavy as H E L L! My mom only lives like 3 minutes of walking away, and after I carried it home myself, I was sore as crap for like 2 days.. my poor shoulders!

I love the fact that she got me a vintage one instead of a new.. I love vintage things, and I think the old ones look better.
It's in great shape for being so old!

Oooh, I have a Bernina too (well, I'm "borrowing" it from my Mum -- I just make sure to make her pretty things), and I LOOOVE it.  Is yours as heavy as hell?  Mine's a 500, and weighs a ton, which I like 'cause then I don't worry about breaking it.  And it handles a couples of layers of felt with no problem.  It's an awesome machine.  Yours probably *is* vintage, but that just means it's built well.  They are still highly sought after machines.

Fun projects -- I just made a heating pad cover too.  And I like the curtain-to-skirt -- I'm gonna try something like that.

Julia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

may
In Bernina we trust!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005 10:16:33 PM »

Aw, thank you, lady! That comment made me so happy Smiley

the plaid skirt is really cute, and i also like the makeup bag--the two patterned fabrics actually go together well! you give newbies like me more confidence! thanks for posting this cool stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandajones

life means nothing if you're not obsessed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005 10:38:14 PM »

Hey! you made some really cute stuff! i like the plaid skirt. i also have an old sewing machine. it was my gramma's first machine and she got it all fixed up and gave it to me for christmas one year!
keep up the good work!  Smiley
amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We like boys. We like hot boys.
With roaming hands and rushing fingers!
I'm just a be bop baby, and i don't take nothing from no one.
See you later Daddyo's
Ashik0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005 04:14:45 AM »

Love what you've made! I'm new to this stuff, too, so even when you have the smallest triumph, you feel soo proud. People just look at me funny.
Old sewing machines tend to actually be better than the new ones, Bernina's are great! They can go through the lightest fabrics nicely, adn then cope fine with thick, tent-like material!
I've just recently had to put my Mum's sewing machine in to get fixed, it's just been sitting there for years (she got it when she was 19, and used it maybe...five times?..she's 40 something now!) and kind of..stopped working. It's a Janome. But we HAD to get it fixed, coz they're just so good!
I agree, they do look better. It's more interesting having an old sewing machine anways, oz then it has a story.
You'r skirt is really cool, specially for a newbie and no pattern! I have one of those heat pad things..You put them in the microwave for 2 minutes and they have wheat or something in them? What'd you put in yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oncebitten...twice shy
may
In Bernina we trust!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005 04:29:39 AM »

I haven't put anything in it, it's electrical! Smiley

Love what you've made! I'm new to this stuff, too, so even when you have the smallest triumph, you feel soo proud. People just look at me funny.
Old sewing machines tend to actually be better than the new ones, Bernina's are great! They can go through the lightest fabrics nicely, adn then cope fine with thick, tent-like material!
I've just recently had to put my Mum's sewing machine in to get fixed, it's just been sitting there for years (she got it when she was 19, and used it maybe...five times?..she's 40 something now!) and kind of..stopped working. It's a Janome. But we HAD to get it fixed, coz they're just so good!
I agree, they do look better. It's more interesting having an old sewing machine anways, oz then it has a story.
You'r skirt is really cool, specially for a newbie and no pattern! I have one of those heat pad things..You put them in the microwave for 2 minutes and they have wheat or something in them? What'd you put in yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Ringflash Style Portraits on a Budget
How to Master High Key and Low Key Lighting for Fashion Photography
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX7 Digital Camera Review
Natural Light Photography
The Importance of Reading Manuals in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...