A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,994
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Mephistuffoles" presides over Beanie Hell  (Read 4016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2008 08:52:19 AM »

If you have extreme Beanie Baby sensitivities or tend to over-anthropomorphize the inanimate, you may want to look away. However, if you're only mildly sick in the head, you may find this as funny as I did.  Wink

I almost never dress up for Halloween because if I were to do a costume the way I want to do it, I would be way overdressed for any occasion I might be invited to. Then I'd either feel like an idiot or like a superior jackass. Either way.

This year, though, I decided to work the pun-as-costume angle, and also managed to work in something I've been wanting to do for years.

I admit, I had done the top a while ago. I was in a second hand store one day and came across this really hilarious devil Valentine plushie, complete with fuzzy red hair and a nice big red flaming heart on his chest. I walked around with that thing for minutes thinking, "What on earth would I do with a stuffed devil?" But I couldn't put it down. So I devised a plan.

He became bisected vertically and hand-stitched to a store-bought black top, with a little bit of padding for his body and keeping his arms and legs free. His giant feet flop around when I move, and grabbing his hands is rather irresistible, if in dangerous territory. ("Watch it, buddy.")

For this year's costume, I decided to take the concept one step further -- well, actually, about 10 steps, as that is how many teeny beanies gave their lives for the project.

Let me tell you, those things are sewn together like crazy. To represent the tortured beanie souls, I picked each one apart, bear-rug style, removed the guts, and hand-stitched them all over a store-bought black skirt. I used red embroidery floss and intentionally made the stitches rather ragged, in an Ed Gein inspired way. And you know, it took me twice as long to sew sloppily as it would have to sew evenly. Damned OCD.

Below that whole mess I wore flame-printed tights and some nice Cenobite buckled boots and became... Mephistuffoles and the pits of Beanie Hell.

No, no one really got it.  Embarrassed Suckers.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008 09:04:48 AM by Dorion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CopierThief

Wanted: One Atlantic Weasel Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008 09:00:43 AM »

hahahah that devil is freaking hilarious. besides - halloween is about looking silly. My mom wanted me to go as kermit the frog (im 19 and work in a bookstore) im not going as kermit. I would have loved to see your costume walking around halloween night. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcrobin
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008 09:03:16 AM »

that skirt rocks so hard
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bronzfrog
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008 09:08:09 AM »

This rocks.

Must buy beanies.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 09:11:33 AM »

Thanks! One of the great things was that I knew I could get beanies at the local Village des Valeurs. What I did not anticipate was that you can get a huge bag filled with completely unopened McDonald's special teeny beanies for, like, $4. When all was said and done, there were something like 30 unique beanies spread out across my work surface, from which I chose my favorites to massacre.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TinfoilHalo
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 09:27:25 AM »

oh this is AWSOME!

Great job  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my site: BrandeeBlank.com
MadameD
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008 09:56:49 AM »

That is so cool.
Sorry you were around people who were the suck.
Sigh, that's the problem with really cool costumes, no one gets them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my shop: www.madamedebarge.etsy.com
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008 10:40:22 AM »

omg ! I love it .. and I love that you refered to ed Gien ! lol .. any way it also made me think of the last ep. of PR .. one of the contestants took apart teddy bears for her dress.. but it didnt turn out any wear as cool as yours
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008 10:40:54 AM »

I love the concept, esp "Mephistuffolles."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008 10:43:45 AM »

Jayne, one of these times I want to actually stitch enough pelts together to make a full fabric. Can you imagine a fitted cocktail dress with little heads sticking out here and there? But I can tell you, based on this small experiment, it would take forEVer. But hell, it IS winter in Michigan... (And there's always at least one person in the room who gets the Ed Gein thing. Tag, you're it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Long Hair
How to Cover Bald Patches for Women
How to Choose a Conditioner
Common Hair Braid Mistakes
How to Defrizz Hair in a Flash
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...