A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
312 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MAKE TIGHT JACKET BIGGER?  (Read 13151 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FraGoUlI
« on: January 30, 2004 12:20:34 AM »

OOKKK well I need some help here.... for the past few months I have been looking for a nice jacket... I thought of this jacket in my head lol neways it would have the stick up collar thing an an asymetrical zipper.. today I finally found one for 30 bucks at H&M and only one downside ... they dont have my size.. errrrrr does neone know if its possible to make the jacket bigger? could i get it altered or do I have to lose 30 lbs ? thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004 01:38:33 AM »

Most modern clothes does not have much in regards to seams, so in order to make the jacket bigger you'd need to introduce pieces of material to increase the size. Most likely this will alter the design/look of the jacket. Quite obviously there will be several more seams to to the jacket... Also it is most likely you won't find the perfect "match" for the fabric so you'd have to introduce a new color and/or texture to the jacket.

Also if you are not a good seamstress, you have no friends/family good at it, getting things professionally altered can be quite pricey.

So in the end you have the consider several factors a) Will the jacket still be what you want after it's altered? b) Is the jacket worth spending another $X dollars to get the fit? and here is another one if you want to do it yourself c) Do I want to run the risk of butchering something I spent $30 on?

If H&M has several locations and if you have not tried already, then go back and ask if they have your size at another location....

Eh, I feel like a total downer now... I'll even admit that I own many things that I bought out of some idea that I will magically drop 4 sizes or that somehow I can make it fit. but umm yea... Something else will come along  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
susank
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004 01:12:22 PM »

Making stuff smaller is pretty tough, but making stuff bigger is usually not worth it.  Jackets are particularly tough-- alot more than say, a simple skirt w/o lining.  I say, forget the jacket-- something better will come along.

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

munsters2004
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004 09:45:46 PM »

I also wanted to make a cool vintage jacket larger but when I tried to make it bigger it just did not work. I went and asked a seamstress  and they said there was no way to make it bigger and still look the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wendell Rodricks College Fashion Hacks
Style Tips For Sporting Events From Jill Martin
Timeless Classic Wardrobe Pieces From Jill Martin
Fall Jewelry Trends From Jill Martin
Fall And Winter Trends From Jill Martin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...