A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Extreme Beginner  (Read 1294 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rsski
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008 06:49:15 AM »

Both of my grandmothers taught me how to crochet using a basic granny square pattern because it combines several stitches. I agree with everyone so far. Get a metal H hook and Red Heart yarn. You can always add to your hook collection later, but so many patterns can be made with the H. In addition to granny squares, scarves are a great way to learn. The Happy Hooker book is fantastic for explaining stitches. I refer to it all the time just to check myself. I tried to teach myself knitting. I think I was just born a hooker. I really couldn't get much past knitting a scarf, especially during the learning process, because it is nearly impossible to rip out your work. Anyway, good luck learning. I'm sure you will be onto big projects before you know it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008 12:13:06 PM »

I'd agree that Happy Hooker is a good book, with a lot of info on the basics, and written in a friendly style. I'm in the UK too, and I find it easier to follow US notation because that's usually what you'll find on the internet. Check out charity shops for hooks, 3.5mm is good for making amigurumi/creatures, a bit bigger than that generally for clothing. If you want to try making amigurumi it's fun because they don't use up much yarn and they're so small it's easy to correct your mistakes. Hats & scarves are a good way to practice the basics too.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008 12:21:53 PM »

I started out with a 4.5mm metal hook with a plastic handle - the best of both worlds and it's still my fave hook now  Grin Get a nice soft double knit yarn and practise making your chain nice and even, I used to twist mine awfully at first but I'm improving daily!
I'm also in the UK but I'm self taught with US patterns, I do still get confused with the terminology when working from a UK pattern and have to refer back to my Happy Hooker book to sort myself out *lol*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
coral
Yarn Rescuer!

beer gut

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008 02:18:12 PM »

I just taught myself to crochet a couple days ago.  Grin  I've been a knitter for several years and realized that crochet can do some things much easier than you can in knitting, such as circles and whatnot.

Watching free videos on the internet of the basic stitches helped a lot! I made a practice swatch of the basic stitches that way, then jumped right in and followed a pattern for a dishcloth.  I think it is much more basic than knitting.  The only hard thing for me was figuring out how to hold everything; it felt at first like I didn't have enough hands to hold the wip, the hook, and the yarn!  But now it feels natural and all I've made is one dishcloth.

Here is the link where I watched my videos:

http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html

Have fun!  I'm addicted already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get some yarn! Jewelry! YARN! 
www.blackcoral.etsy .com

Vintage Sewing Patterns!!
www.saltwatersupply .etsy.com
AriAri
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008 02:36:36 PM »

Another good source to look for online videos on how to crochet is, surprisingly, YouTube.
I came across quite a few on accident while looking for the Wolly Bullies parody on Knitters VS. hookers.

And like what Andry Angel said, doing the Amigurumi/doll things is really fun. Especially once you get the concept of working in a circle.

Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every wall is a door." -R.W.E
iamwiccan
Legend Of Crafts: Hero Of Time

"Oh no, did I hit crazy stairs?"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008 02:42:10 PM »

thats why i wanna learn because arigurumi is just the cutest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stripey_cat
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008 06:00:26 AM »

I found crochet was a lot easier to learn to actually do (compare decreasing 5 in crochet to p5tog tbl), but trickier to get perfectly even.

Afghan squares are good to begin with - portable, can have a lot of variety, not too fine a gauge, and small!

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coral
Yarn Rescuer!

beer gut

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008 04:46:05 PM »

Yes, I've been having a helluva time trying to get the edges even in a square dishcloth.  Any tips would be so appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get some yarn! Jewelry! YARN! 
www.blackcoral.etsy .com

Vintage Sewing Patterns!!
www.saltwatersupply .etsy.com
iamwiccan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008 08:41:47 PM »

yayyy i can now officially crochet thanks to you guys, and i little help from debbie stoller lol!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamwiccan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008 12:07:54 PM »

thanks =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Realistic Eye Drawing
How to Do the Graffiti Letter K
How to Do the Graffiti Letter N
How to Do the Graffiti Letter H
How to Do the Graffiti Letter G
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...