A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Scholarships?  (Read 957 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peacesign
« on: January 06, 2008 01:05:41 PM »

Hello,
I am currently applying to many (ugh many) scholarships. During my search, I stumbled across a scholarship for knitting a wool garment.
http://www.sheepusa.org/index.phtml?page=site/text&nav_id=3f65b4802ed68eb2eb80dd5aea512bbe

So, as strange as this might sound I wanted to ask two questions:
1) What do you suggest I knit?
2) Do you know of any other knitting scholarships?

*I thought there are also many other people interested in participating. Many of us are struggling college kids.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love everything
smileygirl
yea, i knit with acrylic. what are you gonna do about it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008 03:22:51 PM »

i have never heard of a knitting scholarship. sorry i'm no help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more you know, the less you don't know

I love being married.
It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
-Rita Rudner

My Blog!! http://raynaknits.blogspot.com
My Etsy!! http://www.raynascreations.etsy.com
Riki
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008 06:02:31 PM »

What a wonderful find! A knitting scholarship! WoW!

My suggestion - a sweater, of your own design - or one out of Elizabeth Zimmerman's "suggestions", to show creativity. If you could manage to spin the yarn yourself that would be an even better submission.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008 06:03:32 PM »

I can't get the link to work. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peacesign
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008 09:09:28 PM »

I was thinking something along those lines. Classic, but modern with cool yarn. I'm just worried by the time I buy the yarn (since I can't spin my own) and knit it that it won't be amazing enough. Also factoring in the cost and time I could spend writing bad essays of "How I'm going to change the world with my education" the idea seems far too wishful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love everything
Riki
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008 11:29:59 PM »

Could you do it somehow along the lines of conservation/global warming/self-sufficiency ... that kind of thing? I'm not sure what major you're aiming at - but if you are into conservation, how about detailing your search for old thrift store sweaters, taking them out, dying them, and then reknitting into a new sweater - classic - your own design from EZ''s general direction ... would that be impressive enough?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008 10:12:10 AM »

I think Riki's idea of recycling would add an interesting twist. On the other hand the contributing companies are those that produce new wool for sale so they might frown on the idea.

I do believe most of the clothing they get is sewn not knit so that will be a plus on your side. Easier to be unique if yours is the only one knitted.

I think here in Kansas a lot of 4H kids apply for that scholarship.

As for Major's - I think you have to be in some sort of "apparel" field - make sure you double check the requirements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peacesign
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008 05:55:27 PM »

oh I didn't even think of the requirements. I just checked them now...
The recycled yarn idea (no matter how brilliant it is) seems to be a little tough. They asked for the brand, number of skeins, and all that. I think that they want you just to stick with normal store-bought yarn. Maybe I'll send a note asking.

Is this worth it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love everything
superchloe
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008 07:19:14 PM »

I'd say it's definitely worth it. While recycled yarn might be tough, you'd probably get brownie points for spinning the yarn yourself.

I say create a sweater design and just go for it. or some incredibly rad socks. (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008 09:00:01 PM »

I'd say if the scholarship would pay for the yarn, then go for it! But, with more details on the requirements, I'd research the people offering the scholarship and if they are a co-op for sheep/wool farmers, then I'd research further and find people that are in their co-op and then order from them. I would doubt that it needs to be a yarn available in stores - perhaps one available at the spin-outs or 4H events or state fairs would be something that would pique their interest.

I would also think the design would have to be unique and really show off the yarn (and I doubt socks would do it, since they would be hidden?! and also generally use a small yarn). Somehow, I'm thinking at least DK and not a finished fancy mill produced one. If I had the link, I could do a bit of research for you. Sounds absolutely fascinating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pop-Up Predators Book Trailer
Embrace the Struggle Book Trailer
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Karyl McBride
Dannii Minogue Talks About Her Autobiography
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...