A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: guitar hero / rock band alter ego  (Read 1928 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , rock_band  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chilledsoup
biogeek extraordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 05, 2008 10:08:22 PM »

I recently bought a variety pack of Sculpey III, and have been slaving over this figurine of my Rock Band character for the past few days (while waiting for my replacement guitar to arrive in the mail).  It's 8 inches tall and uses a tin foil and wire armature underneath.  I didn't mean to make the head disproportionately big, but by the time I got around to making the head I didn't want to risk messing up the rest.  One the head was all bloated I sort of through scale to the wind and made the hands really big too.  I still like it, though, and I think it's a big improvement over the last figurine I tried to make a couple years ago.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarysMom
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008 10:31:59 PM »

The clothes are great! Actually I think the bigger head and hands actualy lend to the bigger than life feel of a rockstar.

And I feel your pain, we're still waiting for the box to eturn our guitar. Poopy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyZedral
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008 03:14:35 PM »

Very impressive!  I like the bigger hands, and I love the clothes. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubySugar

"and ideas are bulletproof."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008 04:33:22 PM »

Oh! I think it's fabulous! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeachFae
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 07:41:09 PM »

Ooo luv it! I like the bigger hands n head!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chilledsoup
biogeek extraordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 08:11:34 PM »

Thanks all!  I'm glad you guys like the head, cause that part was sort of getting me down.  But I guess if I really wanted realism I shouldn't be pretending to be a rock star in my free time Wink.  I'm not really sure what to do with my mini rocker now though.  I didn't balance it well enough to get it to stand on its own, so maybe if someone has a creative idea for a base, that would be great.  I'm also in the process of making a guitar, which I'll finish once I get over my polymer overload =).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008 09:04:10 PM »

Haha, that's awesome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
ShammyCrafty

www.etsy.com/shop/explodingnoise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008 02:20:46 AM »

Very cute!!! Good detail too! I'm brand new to clay- i just made my first 2 figures over the past 2 days. How'd you make the armature? I've been making an action figure for my bf for his b.day, and it turned out a little flat. I couldn't figure out how to do the armature.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008 12:27:25 PM »

Very nice figure!  I also like the clothes and the way they fit on the body.  And like others, I don't worry about the size of the hands and head....generally only when you're really going for complete realism do you want to be truly proportional (or for a figure that's really thin or willowly for exactly proportional hands, e.g.) --human beings are really much thinner at full height than is usual to show with many sculpts.

You asked about a base.  A couple of things you can do are to add a clay base (all clay, perhaps with an armature inside, or just an armature that's clay-covered).  I did that for one little figure I made who tumped over because I didn't realize that she might not stand easily after baking when she seemed to stand so well raw...oops):
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB/sculpts_small/1945.jpg
(...it's the figure on the far left... I think I just used a wide pad of clay, then decorated it with a few leaves and things before sticking her feet in it with a little liquid clay and baking --or you could just make an impression with the feet then bake the base and glue the figure back into it with a 2-pt epoxy, e.g.)

Or you could also drill a hole in one or both legs, then stick a thick wire or even skewer, etc., inside it and also into a base of some kind (perhaps a painted wood plaque, etc.). Lots of sculptors start out with a wire sticking out of the bottommost part of a sculpt so they can add a base of some kind too... it's really hard to get realistic figures to stand (or squat or whatever) and be perfectly balanced!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008 12:38:07 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Fine Thinning Hair to a Round Face
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for a Round Face
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Square Face
How to Style Coarse Hair for an Oval Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...