A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oreo balls/bombs/delicious bits of bliss  (Read 39030 times)
Tags for this thread: oreo , chocolate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2008 06:29:21 PM »

I've noticed a few recipes for these around Craftster, so I'll include the links to as many as I can locate. Smiley Smiley
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=164704.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=216262.0

I didn't follow either recipe precisely because, by the time I got to these, I was too tired to measure anything. Cheesy  Here's what I did, though...

• Crumble a bag or a bag and a half of Oreos into a bowl.  I used my Kitchenaid mixer for this project.
  • Drop one or two packages of softened Philadelphia cream cheese into the bowl.
  • Let the mixer to do alllll the work.  I let it mix until it was thoroughly blended into a disgusting bowl of thick mud-like sweetness.
  • At this point it was bedtime, so I let the bowl chill in the fridge overnight. Grin
  • In the morning, I rolled out all of the balls onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.
  • Chill the tray of balls (until lunchtime when I had another break Cheesy).
  • Melt chocolate in double boiler (glass bowl on top of a metal sauce pan with simmering water on the stove).
  • Take the chocolate off the stove and rest on a hot pad.
  • Throw (not really...more like a gentle toss) a few balls in the chocolate bowl at a time and flip around with a spatula until thoroughly coated in chocolate.
  • Remove balls, one at a time, from the chocolate bowl to their final resting place on the wax paper cookie sheet.  I used a wooden skewer for this.  It worked GREAT!
  • After all the balls are coated and resting the sheet, let them cool again in the fridge.

That's it!

For fun and to make them look a bit more like evil bon bons, I decorate them with melted white chocolate.
  • Melt white chocolate in double boiler.
  • Pour into Ziploc bag
  • Snip teeny tiny corner in the bottom of bag (to serve as a piping bag)
  • Drizzle, drizzle, drizzle

I don't like to waste supplies, so I drizzled out the extra white chocolate onto wax paper to make fun plate garnishes.

Tips!
  • All of the chilling might seem excessive, but it's really necessary.  After mixing, the goo will be too soft to roll into balls and after rolling the balls, the balls will be too soft to dip.  Chilllll!
  • I tried using a toothpick to fish my balls out of the chocolate (erm...uh...), but it was too flimsy and breakable.  The wooden skewer was fabulous.
  • Don't try to eat too many at once!  They are VERY rich.  I ate half of one at a time with tall glass of milk.
  • And lastly... enjoy! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008 03:16:18 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008 06:34:16 PM »

These look and sound yummy-lishus ... do you have to keep them cold (i.e., if you take them to work, can you leave them out for munching), and can you freeze them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
lilbandade
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008 07:47:33 PM »

those look like a little piece of heaven on a plate.
so i saved this and plan on making them tomorrow/monday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 07:55:38 PM »

Wow, these look great!  Would you mind answering some follow-up questions?  

Three-ounce packages or eight-ounce packages?

• At this point it was bedtime, so I let the bowl chill in the fridge overnight. Grin
  • In the morning, I rolled out all of the balls onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.

What would be the minimum chilling time necessary for each of the two sessions?

• Melt chocolate in double boiler (glass bowl on top of a metal sauce pan with simmering water on the stove).

Semi-sweet chocolate?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008 08:21:38 PM »

These look and sound yummy-lishus ... do you have to keep them cold (i.e., if you take them to work, can you leave them out for munching), and can you freeze them?

I would think you have to keep them fairly chilled or room temp (not good for an outdoor picnic).  I'm sure they're okay to be set out indoors for munching.  I put them in containers and delivered them as holiday presents, so they were out for a while and still great.  The cream cheese is protected in the hard chocolate shell pretty well, I think.

those look like a little piece of heaven on a plate.
so i saved this and plan on making them tomorrow/monday.

Aw, thanks!  I almost put that as the subject line... piece of heaven on a plate. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008 08:30:06 PM »

Wow, these look great!  Would you mind answering some follow-up questions?  

Three-ounce packages or eight-ounce packages?  I'm glad I was in picture-taking mode for some other projects otherwise I would have no idea. Cheesy  I went back & checked the photos and they are 8 oz packages.

What would be the minimum chilling time necessary for each of the two sessions?  I bet you could get away with 20-30 minutes each.

Semi-sweet chocolate?  I actually used this stuff called Baker's Dipping Chocolate.  My friend works at Kraft distribution center, so he buys stuff by the case at cost.  Luckily, I'm his only friend that bakes and I reap the benefits often. Grin  You can see them in the back of this photo.  They come in little microwaveable tubs, but I just dumped a bunch of the tubs into the double boiler (faster than microwaving tiny tubs at 30 second intervals).

The white chocolate was just some of the Nestle white chocolate chips.

Thanks!

Thanks!  Don't mind ONE bit! Smiley  Answers in red above. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedMenace
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008 03:44:03 PM »

Yum! I've made something like this before, but with the absurdly expensive chocolate wafer cookies instead of Oreos... I'm trying Oreos next time! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008 03:45:19 PM »

yum yum yum!! those look so awesome!

when you dump the oreos in, are you using the whole cookie, or do you take the filling out first?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008 03:45:38 PM »

Yum! I've made something like this before, but with the absurdly expensive chocolate wafer cookies instead of Oreos... I'm trying Oreos next time! Cheesy

Oreos are totally the way to go.  Not to say that I didn't love my recipients enough to spend absurd amounts of money on them, but yeah... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008 03:47:06 PM »

yum yum yum!! those look so awesome!

when you dump the oreos in, are you using the whole cookie, or do you take the filling out first?

Thankie!! Smiley

I crumbled the whole bag up...cookies & filling all together.  I did read on another thread that someone removed all of the fillings first, though.  I didn't find it necessary since they were all going to end up mushed together anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sparkling Snowflake Shortbread
How to Make Almond Snowballs
Spirited Bourbon-Pecan-Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
How to Make Elegant Praline Rugelach
How to Make Red Velvet Brownies
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...