A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need an honest opinion~ UPDATED with suggestions  (Read 3102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweet_apple_pie
« on: January 05, 2008 02:06:21 PM »

i need an honest opinion from you cool chicas. i know how I feel about this jacket, but i need opinions from the world outside my head. hubby is not feeling the sleeves, but it's the part i love the most. especially because it looks great with tall gloves.

but i wanted to hear other's opinions, am i really out of touch?
BEFORE:

AFTER:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008 12:13:31 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_naked_doll
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008 02:22:17 PM »

I really love it, I would really love the pattern number for that baby, but I think if I made it, especially for tall gloves, that I'd shorten the sleeves an inch or two. I know it's a jacket and that defeats the purpose, but I think it needs some shorter sleeves-like just below the elbow. Great color, great jacket, I think it's really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm told my Native American name would be Giggles-With-Fervor.

http://megsraggededge.etsy.com

BLOG ! http://megsraggededge.blogspot.com
Domitilla
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008 02:25:13 PM »

I like it but I'd shorten the sleeves and change the buttons...something silver and vintage style would be great Wink
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008 02:25:40 PM by Domitilla » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, so let me know if you want!
sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 02:30:47 PM »

yes, the pattern does call for the sleeve hem to be more then what i actually did, i will fix that as i think shorter will look better.

the pattern is Vogue 2988 http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2988.htm?search=2988&page=1

I agree about the buttons, i forgot to say in my first post that i will replace the buttons with a more suitable color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Panophobic
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008 02:36:45 PM »

I'd go with what's been said- shorter sleeves and different buttons would make this perfect. It looks awesome as is, though! Silver vintage-y buttons would look good, or something oval maybe. Toggles would even look good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ulcdmj
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008 02:41:41 PM »

I agree with both ladies.  Shorten the sleeves just a bit because the pattern may have been cut for someone just a little taller. I always have to shorten sleeves because I am too short! And the buttons make a garment almost anytime! I always search for the perfect buttons to go on something, I might be a little to obsessed about it too. My suggestion on the buttons would be either find some that look somewhat like jewelry (vintage) or if that is to flashy find some that blend with the color of the coat more. Depending on what use you would use it for. Such as a casual coat or a dress coat. If you do go with the casual idea more, when you add the gloves that would defiantly dress it up. All in all though its a great coat, I love it. Hope that helps!

Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008 02:42:42 PM »

thank you everyone, it really helps to hear other's constructive criticism.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bella_domanie
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008 02:59:40 PM »

Guys don't know anything about clothes.  Especially once you marry them lol.  I think it looks great, I love it.  I want a red one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008 03:14:44 PM »

I agree that the sleeves need to be either a touch shorter or a touch longer.  Being short, I have this problem with 3/4 sleeves, they often make me look like a kid who's outgrown her shirt instead of an adult woman wearing a 3/4 sleeve top.  Otherwise it's a lovely jacket.  You did a fantastic job fitting it, Vogue patterns like that can be so tricky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Muffin
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008 03:57:06 PM »

I think the length and width of the sleeves really makes your torso look shorter then it is. I think either making the sleeves longer, or making them shorter (by a few inches) and slightly thinner would be nice...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008 03:57:49 PM by The Muffin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Peanut Butter Cookie, Reinvented for 8AM
Why You Should Be Eating Buckwheat Pancakes
How to Make Eggnog Cupcakes With Spiced Frosting
These Are The Cuddliest Gingerbread Men Ever
Turn Your Gingerbread Man Into a Reindeer Cookie!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...