A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: drawer liners?  (Read 1906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xmelinda
« on: January 07, 2005 09:56:24 AM »

I have acquired a dresser.  I don't love it, but I think it can be messed with and be okay.  A relative gave it to us, so it was free, that's the main thing!  Wink

It's got some yucky stains in some of the drawers, though, and a place or two where there is something old and gunked.  Blecch.  It's the kind of thing where even after I clean them, it will still be gross.  So, I want to line the bottom of the drawers, but I was trying to think of a creative way to do it.  Most contact paper is pretty ugly, and most of the drawer liner paper you can buy for clothing is not adhesive on the back, and I'd be afraid it would slip and slide out of place.

Anyone have any crafty suggestions?  I wouldn't mind gluing or something like that, as it's not really "heirloom" furniture.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005 10:07:34 AM »

you could just decoupage the entire interior of the drawers.  How cute would it be if you did it so that the pictures reflected the usage of the drawer, so the underwear drawer  would be done in pictures from lingerie catalogues or old pinup girls, etc?

Alternatively you could make like a box out of posterboard that fit inside each drawer exactly.

Or you could just get them as clean as possible, then sand, prime, and paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BOBSPROUDMOM
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005 10:14:57 AM »

I lined a dresser one time by cutting shirtboard to fit the sides and bottom of the drawer and covered with velvet.  Then ducttaped the pieces together (on the backside - facing the drawer) and fit into the drawer.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005 10:19:57 AM »

I have this problem with not being able to throw out cute wrapping paper from presents. So, I solved it by lining drawers with the pieces that are big enough. It looks really cute and a decent quality paper will last a long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
ilovepaper
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005 11:20:09 AM »

If you find drawer liner that you really like, you can use spray adhesive to make it stay stuck. I also like the gift wrapping paper idea... which can also be applied with spray adhesive.
good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stickychick
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005 11:29:47 AM »

The decoupage idea sounds like a lot of work, but oh, so ultra cool. THAT would make it an heirloom piece for real!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenofSwords

marty marty bo barty, bo-nana fana fo...uh oh....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005 12:12:09 PM »

I would be afraid the decoupage would stay or get sticky and then stick to my clothes.  Tongue I love the fabric idea, myself - could be relatively simple to do, but really nice looking. Just cut to fit, with flaps on each side to go up the side, then a few minutes with spray adhesive, "tacky" white glue, or even hot glue. To be super-neat, you could run a line of braid or cord up the corners to hide the rough edges.

You could Scotchgard it or even cover it in clear Contact to protect it. You could do each drawer in a different fabric, or the bottom in one and the sides in coordinating fabrics, or any number of things, depending on what style you want to go for.  Nice way to use up scraps or work with inexpensive remnants, too.

If any of the gunk looks like it might run or seep, you might want to paint it over with a coat of something to contain it first.

Marty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yo, ye pharaohs! Let us walk through this barren desert, in search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers.
xmelinda
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005 12:24:53 PM »

Hmm!  These are all fine suggestions!  I'm tempted to decoupage, simply because I am such a decoupage fiend and I have 17 truckloads of old magazines that I need to do something with.  I don't think it would stick, so long as I used Royal Coat instead of Mod Podge.  I may try one drawer this weekend and see how it goes!  Maybe I'll do the smaller drawers this way, and the larger drawers one of these other ways.

Of course, there's always the fear that I'll make it so cool I won't be able to part with it -- this was supposed to be "stop-gap" furniture  Wink  I personally think this dresser is ready to become "shabby chic".  It's currently sort of ugly yellowed white with accents in bad gold paint.  I think if it were repainted and had new pulls, it could be cool.  I'm just not sure I can wait that long to have something to put my clothes away in... Eh, it's all for "art"  Grin

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dixie_terror
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005 12:28:21 PM »

i bet it's the same dresser i have at home that was just to keep my crap in too! I'll see if i can remember to take pics of what i did to mine, i painted the outside with a light sage-y green and burgundy and distressed it all, i totally ignored the drawers. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a few of my recent banners...<br />http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287051709
xmelinda
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005 12:48:34 PM »

Yeah, my husband really hates it and didn't even want to take it even for free, but I convinced him by reminding him that we have no other clothing storage at our new house yet (the master bedroom is a "loft" converted from the attic, so the ceilings slope and it's not tall enough to put a wardrobe, either).

I haven't decided how to paint the outside yet.  The top surface seems to be some kind of formica type stuff, so I don't know if that will paint or not, and it's white.  But the top can always be covered with a piece of cloth of some kind.

While I'm at it, can I get away with painting it if I just sand it a bit, rather than stripping the old paint?  What kind of paint should I use?  Something that dries very fast would be good, since I'd probably have to do it in the house... (I know, I want the MOON...)

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Sound Off: Scarlett Johansson, Emma Watson, Kim Kardashian, Shailene
7 Reasons Your Clothes Might Be Turning Men Off
Lululemon Releases Line of Post-Workout Clothes
Taylor Swift at Her InStyle November 2013 Cover Shoot
Interview with Zosia Mamet at Her InStyle January 2014 Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...