A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Medieval themed wedding VERY pic heavy...VERY  (Read 12980 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tessie
« on: January 05, 2008 11:12:43 AM »

We both wanted a Medieval wedding since before we met each other.
We were both pretty broke too, and so were our parents so we HAD to be crafty. We did everything ourselves!! We pooled together our resources and pulled this wedding off for right around $3000!! We had a guestlist of 500 and about 250-300 showed up, about half of the guests dressed up too!
My husband worked for a printshop at the time so we printed our own invitations on long paper and used this image on them

We burned the edges of them to age them and sent them as scrolls. We handed out most of them at showers and such.
I made all of my flowers too. There's a store right by my house that sells flower scrap bags for .25 a piece so I would go about every two days and buy all they had then take it home and sort it all.  I found so much stuff in these bags!!! There were lots of fake fruits and veggies too so I made some nice topiaries for our feast tables. The flowers that came in these bags were like flowers that fell off of a silk arrangement so a majority of them were just loose, same goes with leaves. I got tons of floral wire and made tall topiaries and garlands stringing them flower by flower.
The topiaries were cardboard fabric tubes that I anchored into an aluminum baking pan filled with cement. I just covered it in moss and tulle at the bottom and around the tube.
The altar was made by a friend of mine. He also made the fairy and dragon hanging from the top. I made the little flags.

My moms best friend was making our cakes and I wanted the wedding cake to look like a castle so I built this base for it to sit on. It's a bunch of cardboard boxes, the ones in the center were filled to support the cake. Then I paper mache'd over it to sculpt a landscape. Used some pine branches out of my flower bags to make little trees. We downloaded a program that had this little Medieval village that you could print off of your pc and cut them out to make them. Then we went to a gaming/miniature shop and found some townspeople and came up with a bridal party. It was very hard to find women and men not in battle stances. I searched forever for the ones we used for ourselves! These were basiclly our cake topper. The pack of women I used as bridesmaids was actually a pack of prostitutes! HAHAHA!!!

Here I am working on it... mmmm Heinekin

Some closeups, first there was a little bar...
The people did get painted.

and my trees

Damn porta potties! We had a ten to cover it but that crazy wind blew it away!
The garlands were from the flower bags too.

She also did an awesome job on the grooms cake....a dragon!

I also made a 24 flags to place on the columns. It turned out to be windy as hell that day and they got blown all over!
There was also chunks of floral foam in alot of the bags so we used those as favors/center pieces. We printed some pictures of us off the computer and cut them out in the shape of hearts then stuck them to the blocks of foam (about 2" X 6-8") then covered the foam in flowers...hooray for those flower bags!!
The table linens were made from fabric that I purchased at cost from the fabric store I worked at. I spent $1700 on fabric!!! I still have a good bit left. That burgundy fabric on top was also used in the bridesmaid dresses and I have enough to make slipcovers for my dying sofa...I just don't want my 2 yr old to ruin it! I think I'll horde it a little longer.
The place we had it at  was just gorgeous. It was at the Peristyle in City Park.

Here it is from the outside.

and now for the fun part. Well this was the funnest part of the whole making of this wedding....
I say fun... but for the record, I did loose it several times during the making of this too.
My mom and I worked on my dress. I designed it and helped her make the sleeves. I was told that it was bad luck to make your own wedding dress so I tried to let my mom make most of the dress. I made the tiara out of a metal toothes hairband I paid .99 for and beads that I got off of discontinued beaded trim sample boards they were going to throw out at work.

My mom made her and my dads costume and I made Rick and his parents costumes. Let's not all look too happy now.... I hate this picture actually but it does give you a decent look at the costumes.

We had jolly jesters too!  These were the first costumes I made. I made Erin's dress too.

This is a great picture of Ricks parents and Sister. I made all of these costumes. I made that scallop trim at the bottom of Moms dress out of the fabric I used up top. The roses on the fabric were also the wrong color so I had to hand paint them the right color.

My mom made my sisters dress, my poor sister should have been in the hospital that day. She was my maid of honor so she refused to go. She can't remember the wedding at all to this day!

Our flower girls were fairies, there;s a 4th one behind the flowers. My wonderful mother made all of these too!

This is Aunt Heidi and Uncle Toney. I made  her dress and she made his costume...hee POOFY PANTS! He also took all of the pictures for us and did  great job. Unfortunately I don't have those online :cry:

This strapping young lad is Eric and he is sporting the groomsmen costume. I made 6 of these and Rick's too who had a slightly different style to his. It was this awesome vinyl that looked just like suede.
I was still sewing these the night before the wedding. I was just putting some of the last stitches to Rick's and I nipped it right in th front with scissors, that was one of the breakdowns...

It was an awesome wedding! We had so much fun that day! We even made it in the paper!!!

Thanks for looking!!

**EDIT*** More pics can be found on my MySpace page...  http://www.myspace.com/nolatess
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008 09:33:46 AM by Tessie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008 11:21:35 AM »

OMFG that has got to be the BEST wedding I have ever seen in my life! I LOVE IT!! Great job and kudos to you for doing it pretty much all by yourself!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008 11:26:27 AM »

Good God, woman!  Every detail is exquisite!  You look lovely, as does everyone else wearing your gorgeous clothing.  You outfitted an entire Renaissance Faire.  You altered the landscape!  You even made miniature villages!  M'lady, I bow deeply in your direction.  My eyes are downcast in awe.  Now I look up and devour the visual feast.  Still I cannot believe it.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Therisa

Knitfiend, Mad Sewist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 11:29:28 AM »

Your wedding was just beautiful.  You were so kind to share it with the world.  I wish you both every happiness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Fabric Fast and pledged to buy no new yardage until July 1, 2008.

2008 Fabric Purchased: 56 yards

Fabric Sewn: 93 yards

Fabric Remaining: An Awful Lot

I am open to personal swaps!

http://www.wists.com/Therisa
Kyrie04
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008 11:40:43 AM »

I have to agree that that is pretty freaking amazing! I can't believe you did it all yourself! I'm hitting the "this rocks" button because that is fantastic! Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tessie
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008 11:43:32 AM »

Thank you all very much!!
Next month we celebrate our 4th year of marriage but we get to have our first REAL Anniversery because we got married on Leap Year Day, Feb 29th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yberry
A disgrace to the international community of swap organizers.

"Stressed" is "desserts" spelled backwards.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008 11:44:32 AM »

I hope your married life rocks as much as your wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That paper cut is really going to snag on my knitting." - Y. David, Nov. '07
http://yberry.etsy.com
My ATC Gallery
http://yberry.wordpress.com/ - Swap spoilers!
Carillia
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008 11:47:16 AM »

Wow! Just... Wow! I'm out of words, this is absolutely amazing! You've done so much work, and all of it looks absolutely perfect. Your dress is amazing on you, and the flower girls are adorable.

This definitely Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audsnico
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008 11:52:32 AM »

Oh my god, on only $3000?Huh This looks like a $15,000+ wedding to me. All the costumes are amazing! And that location is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tessie
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008 11:54:36 AM »

yeah, I never knew how cheap I could be until I started this wedding
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Salted Caramel Macarons
How to Make Rose Water Macarons
KD101: Chocolate Fondue Recipe
How To Make a Mini King Cake
How to Make a Malteaser Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...