A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,486
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy Idea but will it sell?  (Read 1262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Toezeoz
« on: January 05, 2008 02:25:03 AM »

I'm new to Craftster posting (long time lurker first time poster) and I'm looking to finally start up my own etsy site soon.
I am not sure, however, if there would be a market for one idea I had to sell. I enjoy making decorative pointe shoes. They take a considerable amount of time to create and wanted to ask opinions before I took the time to post some up to sell outside of my work.

Here are 2 examples of shoes I have done. These are Studio 1 Hard Shank Pointe shoes my Freed.

Starry Night
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=97986
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=97985

And Nautical Stars
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=97987
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=97988

Sorry about the links, I have to post 10 times before posting pics. Good rule!
NOTE: For Etsy I will take better pictures. These were taken very quickly before work just to make sure I had photos of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flia
Purple butterfly

Yarn, pearls, thread, pearls, yarn, yarn, yarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008 04:56:33 AM »

They look great.
Do you make them from scratch or have you coated bought ones?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynlynn

Honey, milk doesn't come from chickens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008 05:03:36 AM »

I'd buy them! I dance, and I love crafty goodness!I do believe the best way to find if something wil sell is to give it a trial run. If you sell a pair or two, then you can make more. Are there other things you will be selling also? Because i would so buy those especially if they had a matching bag!! *hint hint:)*
Good  Luck with Etsy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/cynlynn
Personal Swap anyone?
Toezeoz
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 10:56:17 AM »

They are $90 pointe shoes and i get them way cheaper cause i work at a dance store. I decorate pre-made shoes right now But I make handbags also i sew, so a bag would be not hard to do. Unfortunately I don't have friends on pointe so i don't know if the ink/paint runs or not yet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008 08:41:30 PM by Toezeoz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissNoemi
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008 09:59:51 PM »

Are you looking to sell them as decorative pieces or as shoes to wear? I could see them as decoration somehow--as an art piece or whatnot--but I can't see them for dancing (when choreographers want color, sharpies work quite well, I've noticed). If it's just for dance art (I love the double art idea in that!), whatever paint you used is likely fine. It's a fun idea. Smiley I'd say run with it. Or bourree. Whatever your preference. Oh, if just for art, I would also look into shoes that aren't as expensive as Freeds, even with a discount. My Pavlovas used to be around $25; a less expensive shoe wouldn't mean anything less to your buyer, just to your finances!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReconstructiveChoice
LGM

Wiggle your big toe.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008 10:07:36 AM »

The only problem I can foresee is that pointe shoes (as you well know) are EXPENSIVE as you-know-what, and used ones are, well, icky and prolly no basis for a beautiful craft (unless you know something I don't about de-stinkifying them).  So as for pricing, you probably already know your cost of materials will be pretty darn steep w/ the shoes alone, and then you have to figure if people will pay that much for you to cover cost of materials alone for something I'm assuming will be purely decorative.  Now I think those are lovely, and I've seen things like that in dance gift shops and I think they make beautiful gifts. 

Random anecdote I just remembered: when I was like 13, the company I was an apprentice with tried to make a few extra bucks in the boutique by taking old pointe shoes, painting them, and making them into potpourri holders.  Yeah, didn't sell.  Smelled like feet + cinnamon.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Toezeoz
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008 11:19:10 PM »

LOL! That is funny. Yeah at the moment I have a huge amount of shoes at my disposal for very cheap. But this is only one style.
Thank you all for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cindy Gerard Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Nicholas A. Christakis and James H. Fowler Talk About Connected
Tiki Barber Talks About Tiki
George Hamilton Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Meet Author Jodi Picoult
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...