A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo Emulsion Lightbulb  (Read 3709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madam_mim
« on: January 04, 2008 11:21:07 PM »

I had a few questions concerning the light bulb I purchased to try the photo emulsion method of silk screening.

I got a Speedball Silk screening kit for Christmas, and it recommended a BBA No. 1 Photoflood... which doesn't make much sense to me, but I assumed it was a 250W Photo bulb.

So, I purchased a General Electric 250W 4800 Kelvin Photoflood Lightbulb.  I was told by the gentleman at McBain Camera that this is the coolest burning photoflood that they sell.  However, the light bulb is blue, and I was wondering if that will affect the exposure time at all?

The caution on the back of the lightbulb also scared me, it states that I should keep myself, and all articles at least 4 feet away from the lightbulb whenever it's turned on.  But my kit tells me to hang the light 1-2 feet above my screen.  Do all photoflood bulbs have warnings like this?

Thank you in advance for any advise you can lend me.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gius
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008 07:09:33 PM »

So far the ones I've seen don't have warnings like that. I can't answer your question, but I wonder if it gives off some kind UV rays (like sunlight), so maybe that's what it means?  Huh
I think the only thing you can do is test it to see if it will expose the screen.

---------

New question...

I'm going to post another lightbulb question here...

There are so many kinds of bulbs. Incandescent, halogen, fluorescent. Does it matter? Which is better?

I bought a halogen 150 Watts.
I haven't found a lamp that is for a 150 watt bulb. I've only seen really tall lamps for that, but they are way too expensive (and also too tall for screen printing).

I was told a reflector is good to have to spread out the light. All the reflectors I've found at the store are less than 150 watts. Is a floodlight the same as a reflector?

Not really sure how to solve my problem
I did find a reflector with no recommended wattage and bulb type.
This is what the reflector lamp says:
5 1/2-in. reflector. On/off switch. 1.85-m. cord. (Lightbulb not included.) Black.
So I am thinking I could just put my halogen bulb in that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008 08:23:45 AM »

my light has the same warning on it, it's because it gets really hot when it's been on for like 10 minutes. i actually use a 500w bulb for 12 minutes. since i dont have a stand for the light yet i just hold the thing by the handle about 24" about the screen. just have to make sure how to touch any other part of the light because i'll get burned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips on Using a Hair Straightener Flat Iron
How to Blow Dry Hair and Add Volume
How to Straighten Hair with Flat Iron
How to Style Bangs a into Curly Wavy Hairstyle
How to Create a Wavy Bob Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...