A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cabled Pullover from KnitSimple - anyone else having serious problems?  (Read 442 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlight1221
« on: January 04, 2008 08:36:26 PM »

I'm knitting the Cabled Pullover from KnitSimple's Holiday mag (it's the trapeze top with the cable that runs across the chest and arms). 

I've knit about 6 sweaters in the past and have been knitting for a few years now.  This is the first time I'm actually using the yarn the pattern calls for, so of course I'm going to have problems. 

I was attempting to make the size small because I'm a 35 bust and I like my sweaters to just graze my body, like it does on the super skinny model in the mag. 

First, I couldn't get gauge.  I was up to a sz 10 needle (calls for an Cool, and I'm still at 19 sts/4".  Gauge is supposed to be 18 sts/4".  I figured it'd be ok since I didn't want it quite as big as the small, but I wanted it bigger than the XS, so I just went for it with the 10's.  I decided I didn't want/need it 4 feet around at the bottom (this should have been a red flag), so I cast on 92 sts per side instead of 104 and I eliminated the first decrease row.  I decided to knit the front/back panels in the round.

This thing is HUGE.  It's over 6 extra inches too big at the bust, not to mention the hips.  They SAID the model was wearing the small, and she looks like she's a size 2 or 4.  I'm a size 6, which with the extra holiday weight is pushing it. 

What the?!  To get it to a managable size, I'd have to cut off 15 stitches per side!  Not even the XS is that small, and my gauge is tighter! 

I've done the math and resized patterns when I've gotten a different gauge and it worked out okay, but with the way this sweater is constructed with half of it knitted bottom up and half side-to-side, I'm afraid to do it.

Is anyone else having trouble with this?  Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?  I'd like some feedback on what *I* could possibly be doing wrong before I write to KnitSimple and ask about what could be wrong with the pattern...

Thanks for any help.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008 09:19:55 PM »

Did you try going down in needle size? To get more sts per inch you need smaller needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
starlight1221
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008 02:16:18 PM »

No, that's the problem, I'm getting too many stitches per inch.  My swatch is already smaller than the suggested gauge, and it still turned out huge  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 03:00:24 PM »

Oh whoops, it was late and I was tired when I posted that....

In that case, forget the gauge, use 8 or 9s and good luck. Or make the XS,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
eatyerhartout
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008 06:55:29 PM »

I'd say go down another needle size and make the extra small.  Undecided Poor editing can be a problem with published patterns, but the majority of the pattern writers or publishers can be contacted for help. If you haven't already, send an e-mail explaining your problem. You should be able to find an address on the mag's website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
stripey_cat
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 06:24:30 AM »

Hmm.  Maybe the model's really tall?  If she's 6'3", she could have a 36" or 38" chest and still be a bean-pole.  Equally, it's possible the stylist nipped the back in with a pin during the photoshoot, and no-one noticed!

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008 07:33:53 AM »

Well, I frogged it, and I'm casting on with 92 stitches per side and hoping for the best.  I figured out the cable part is done in a repeat pattern until a certain length, so it shouldn't be a problem to attach it to the body.  For the sleeves, I plan on wrapping the body around my arm and counting the stitches and casting on for the size sleeve closest to the #sts I come up with. 

I bet the sweater on the model *is* pinned together in the back.  There was this cabled Chaps sweater I fell in love with in the Kohls ads all winter.  I went in, tried it on, and the small, the smallest size, was totally baggy while on the model it was perfectly form-fitting.  There's no way this model was bigger than me, so it must be a common practice. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stripey_cat
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008 05:35:43 AM »

Yeah.  The designer won't always be there at the photo-shoot, and the stylist has a free hand to make things "better".  There was a hilarious rant on Annie Modesitt's blog (I think) about a stylist shooting a prop pair of gloves because they looked nicer than the actual design, so the book has the wrong gloves pictured!

If you look in shops, the clothes on the stands are often pinned in to fit, too.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Biggest Fall Fashion Trends
DIY Cut Off Denim Shorts
Luxury Lounge-Wear for Less: Cozy Up in Style and on a Budget
ABC Family and Wet Seal Collaborate on Clothes
Style Sound-Off: Lea Michele, Naya Rivera, and Selena Gomez
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...