A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitters who sell your stuff: yarn prices?  (Read 480 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008 02:42:23 PM »

hey guys,

I was recently solicited to sell my stuff at a local clothing/gift store [I was very flattered, since I didn't plan on trying to sell my stuff for a while...but apparently there's demand!]

my problem is yarn: the price of yarn I'd get through my lys is obvious marked up so they'll make a profit..but this causes me to have to mark up my prices even more [and that's not counting what the store will have to mark up in order to make a profit].
I spin, but not enough to create the kinds of yarns I want to knit things to sell with [not yet, anyway. crossing my fingers for the day!]

I can get yarns from ebay, obviously, for slightly cheaper than the lys after shipping, but I'm curious what those of you who knit to sell do...plus, I'd hate to go to the lys and just "scope out" the yarns I want and then buy online. such nice ladies in there and they've been tremendously helpful. Undecided

any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
lovelymuch
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008 06:08:57 PM »

Knitting isn't really my thing but i do make and have recently started selling my jewelry. Even though it's not the same medium, I too have thought about the aspect of where to buy supplies.

There are a couple small local bead stores that I've been too. They do have an interesting selection of products, one has an entire wall of vintage beads which I probably couldn't find anywhere else. However, I know that they charge a lot lot lot more than other places. For example, they charge $38 for 15 feet of 20 gauge sterling silver wire at my LBS but I know I can get the same online for around $20. Also, at my LBS they sell swarovski crystals for a high price but they have the same at A.C. Moore 12 for $4.99 and better yet, often times they're on sale 2 for $5. And then online is the best again, 24 for $3.

So, I would definitely like to help out my local shops but when I know I can get items for less elsewhere, most of the time I do shop in the cheaper places. I think that overall it's better for my business to have the cheaper supplies so that I can offer my items at a more affordable price. I buy local whenever possible, like when I want some nice vintage beads or if I need an item fast and can't wait for it to be shipped to me.

So, my advice is to compare prices online (google for yarn stores or I'm sure some of the lovely people on here could reccommend some.) at your local stores, and even check out A.C. Moore/Micheals/JoAnnes and see what the difference in prices are. Maybe you can only get a specific yarn in the local store so you buy that one there and then get cheaper ones elsewhere. It's always nice to have an array of price ranges for your items anyway, something everyone can afford.

Just my 2 cents. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008 06:59:08 AM »

You can't base your budget decisions on other people's feelings. If you can find yarn cheaper elsewhere and it will be good for your business, then that's what you have to do.

If your current "nice" people could raise their prices on top of the price you pay now, they would without considering your feelings first. There are plenty of nice business people out there, so do what's best for your own business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feltcafe
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008 06:00:40 PM »

if you decide to register yourself as a business, you should be able to get a discount on your supply purchases. 

at my local yarn store, all i had to do was show them my business license, and they entered me on their list of retail customers. this should be the case at larger craft stores too.

sorry it's been a while and i don't remember the details, perhaps the amount varies based on the state you live in? or the store?

it's great to support your local yarn store.  price your work fairly (there are tons of threads about pricing--just remember your time is valuable!), and if you have a good product (sounds like you do, since you are already getting retail requests) people will be willing to pay for it. just my 2 cents. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Very Southern Cornsticks Recipe
Parmesan Chicken Casserole with Wild Rice Recipe
Simple and Tasty Salmon Cakes Recipe
Southern Oven Fried Chicken Breast Recipe
Southern Fried Chicken Gravy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...