A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Argh! Knit jerseys!  (Read 525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008 01:15:55 PM »

How do you sew knit jersey fabric so that it wont get that lettuce edge?!! I've tried and tried, even changed my sewing needles to ballpoint sewing needle and still the same problem. Any tips? Thanks! Much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008 07:02:01 PM »

Make sure that you are using a zigzag stitch when sewing seams.  When sewing hems, use a double needle or the zigzag stitch.  Don't pull or stretch your fabric as it sews, that will make the lettuce edge.  If you find that your fabric is still feeding unevenly through the machine, then use a walking foot.  If your material is particularly thin or has poor stretch and recovery you may have to take an extra step of adding a small strip of knit interfacing to your seams and hems.  This will help stabilize your material but still make it soft and flexible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008 10:48:52 PM »

Thank you so much! I've heard of the twin needle and its miracles...so I guess I'll be inventing in one soon. I'll also try the walking foot and interfacing! Thanks! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
farbinkie

Sparkle Researcher, Glitter Chemistry Division

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 05:56:50 AM »

Hey!  I've got some projects I've been thinking of doing in knit jersey -- what is this magical double needle you all are talking about?  How does it help to keep the hems even?

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carillia
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008 07:58:38 AM »

Hey!  I've got some projects I've been thinking of doing in knit jersey -- what is this magical double needle you all are talking about?  How does it help to keep the hems even?

Thank you!!

A double needle, aka a twin needle is basically two parallel needles that share the "stem" that you attach it to the sewing machine with. The reason it's good to use on stretch fabrics is that with two separate threads on top but only one bobbin, the bobbin thread will automatically be zig zagged as it runs between the two rows of stitches, making the seam stretchy even when you're using a regular straight stitch.

It doesn't really help make the hems even but it makes the visible seams straight when you normally would have to use a zigzag or stretch stitch to maintain the stretch in the fabric. On whatthecraft you see an example on how the twin needle can be used to "fake" the seams that you usually find on tees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: The Roaming Gnome
@Home This Weekend: Welcoming Door Decor
Trim the Tree: Crafty Ornaments for the Holiday Season

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...