A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting must have's  (Read 1114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2008 06:58:46 PM »

I have just started knitting this past year, and I'm trying to get everything that I just MUST have to knit more than one thing (LOL)

I have
5 size 00(US) sock dpns
5 size 1(US) sock dpns
4 size 2(Us) sock dpns
8 size 3 (US) standard dpns
1-29" size 6(US) circular needle

what others would you suggest?

I have a limited income to spend on this, but I need your advice, thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
knottymama

not so knotty anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008 07:23:01 PM »

I'm a magic loop snob.  I'd get yourself a few more long circs.  Maybe 2, 4, 8 and 10?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soulful hues knits and knacks, hand dyed recycled yarn and fun vintage finds!http://www.soulfulhues.etsy.com

my blog: http://soulfulhuesknits.blogspot.com/
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008 07:51:21 PM »

how long do they need to be?

do I need to get another 29" to do magic loop?

sorry to bother, but I want to make sure I am understanding you.

thanks friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008 08:20:40 PM »

I'd say maybe circs in a larger size (8's or 10's).  But I tend to only buy things when I have a pattern in mind, so I don't end up with excess supplies that I never end up using.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008 08:32:16 PM »

thanks friend!

I've been told that it's really hard to magic loop on shorter than a 24" cause the cable resists.
I would assume that probably 29-40" would be your best bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008 12:35:25 AM »

I would certainly buy some more circs. They can be used as straights (and much more comfortably, too!) or to make objects in the round. I'd say at least US size 8 circs, probably in 29". They're called for in most projects using worsted weight yarn.

Just a little tip I've learned: If you plan to buy various sizes in circular needles, don't bother buying any straights. The circs, for most people, are far more comfortable to work with, easier to carry/travel with, and and are very light weight. They can also be used for all sorts of projects (anything you can do on straights as well as projects in the round).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
stripey_cat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008 03:36:10 AM »

I don't like circular needles!  Try both and see which you prefer, would be my advice. 

What sort of things do you want to try your hand at?  I like DK or light aran weight for hats, so I have 4, 4.5, and 5 mm dpns (ideally 6 or 7 inch, to stop me dropping stitches!).  If you find heavy yarns or needles awkward, you may not need anything bigger than that.  If you want to make jumpers, you'll need straights, long dpns, or circulars to match whatever weight yarn you want to use.

A complete set of needles will fill a large box - I have a fair-sized tote-full, and still don't always have the perfect needle for the job.  If you like circs, an interchangeable set can help, but you'll still find that occasionally the yarn you want to use doesn't cooperate with the tips you have (wrong pointiness or amount of friction) and you're off hunting for the just-so needle once more.

If you're on a budget, look in charity shops.  A lot round here have a pot of needles (between 20p and 50p a pair seems the going rate).

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottymama

not so knotty anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008 05:54:36 AM »

thanks friend!

I've been told that it's really hard to magic loop on shorter than a 24" cause the cable resists.
I would assume that probably 29-40" would be your best bet.

yes, i agree
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soulful hues knits and knacks, hand dyed recycled yarn and fun vintage finds!http://www.soulfulhues.etsy.com

knottymama

not so knotty anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008 05:57:12 AM »

I would certainly buy some more circs. They can be used as straights (and much more comfortably, too!) or to make objects in the round. I'd say at least US size 8 circs, probably in 29". They're called for in most projects using worsted weight yarn.

Just a little tip I've learned: If you plan to buy various sizes in circular needles, don't bother buying any straights. The circs, for most people, are far more comfortable to work with, easier to carry/travel with, and and are very light weight. They can also be used for all sorts of projects (anything you can do on straights as well as projects in the round).

i agree Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008 07:40:56 AM »

I guess it depends on what you want to do, but I personally love my options from knitpicks.  I have lots of sizes I'll need for most projects, and I find that I prefer to use a round needle as opposed to straights anyway.  I also prefer magic loop as opposed to dpns, and having just completed a sweater doing both sleeves in the round using magic look I'd sugguest maybe a 40" cable if you decide to go with an interchangeable set.  I did my sleeves on a 32", and really thought that a few more inches would've been nice.  so I'm thinking that if you wanted to do socks 2 at a time then a longer cable would be good.  I plan to order one when I order my sock yarn. 

that being said, if you find that you prefer straight needles, I'd sugguest sizes 4 through 10 in straights.  I haven't really been knitting all that long, but I have made a variety of projects, and looked at tons of patterns, and have found that MANY projects call for needles in this size range.  in fact I was worried about not using some of the sizes in my KPs, but so far the only size I haven't used are the 11's and I plan to use them on a planned project soon as well.  I wouldn't worry about having needles go unused.  I'm sure with time you'll use just about every size.  and you could keep the reciept and return what you find you won't use.

sorry this got so long. good luck finding what works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Beginner Runners from Danny Dreyer
How to Apply the Chi Running Technique for Marathons
Sohrab Ahmari on Ray Bradbury Vs. Political Correctness
How The Light Gets In 2012: What the Patrons of the Festival Thought
Jim McEnery on the Book Hell in the Pacific
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...