A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,665
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Junk Food Pendants!  (Read 2447 times)
Tags for this thread: perler_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunnyFace

Let's get out of this country

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008 03:31:00 PM »

Here I go celebrating the start of a new year with these delectable munchies, namely a bottle of cola, an ice cream cone, and a sugared doughnut, all plasticized in Perler glory.

They make for cool fridge magnets, or keychains, but for now, I think I'll make 'em into mouthwatering pendants for all to admire Smiley

Happy New Year!

~Jo

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008 03:35:43 PM by FunnyFace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
http://carp3di3m.livejournal.com/
serendipity_sarah
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008 03:42:45 PM »

Cute!  You should definately make some fridge magnets too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Milk n Cereal
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008 04:00:43 PM »

How cute! The donut is precious, and makes me think of the Simpsons Movie!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Call me Thuy. Smiley [say it like twee]
FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008 04:35:10 PM »

How cute! The donut is precious, and makes me think of the Simpsons Movie!  Cheesy

Thanks! That's what I thought too Smiley Maybe I'll make Lard Lad to go with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

hello color!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008 08:30:17 AM »

Awesomeness! If you make 'em into pendants, I'd love an action shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liasaun1
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008 01:57:55 PM »

Those are awesome! You should make them into keychains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://omglia.com
Funky & colorful jewelry, clothing, &accessories
http://omgliastash.etsy.com
Destash and supply! Bead and charm lots!
My Blog!
FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008 10:54:20 PM »

Those are awesome! You should make them into keychains.

Thanks! It's been a while since the last reply to the post. Haha. I would make them into keychains but they snap so easily! Any suggestions? I thought of reinforcing them by coating them with resin, but I can't find a how-to for that, and I know little about resin. I think the range of resin here (singapore) is limited too. I mean even shrinky dinks I had trouble finding. Sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

hello color!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008 02:41:29 PM »

Thanks! It's been a while since the last reply to the post. Haha. I would make them into keychains but they snap so easily! Any suggestions? I thought of reinforcing them by coating them with resin, but I can't find a how-to for that, and I know little about resin. I think the range of resin here (singapore) is limited too. I mean even shrinky dinks I had trouble finding. Sigh.

You want to stick them on tape (wide, like box tape) so that you have a bottom. Mix resin according to instructions - you'll need very little. Then get a tiny paintbrush, and use that to get it between the perler beads. (i.e. don't pour it, just dip the paintbrush in the resin to get some resin on it, then use it to carry the resin to the beads.) Then, put your pendant/tape/resin thing in a container that you can cover up so that dust doesn't get in, and wait. Also, make sure to clean the paint brush with acetone or paint remover as soon as you are done, because if resin cures on the brush, the brush is a goner. When it cures, take off the tape, and you're done! The resin thread has more tips and tricks, but basically, that is it.

Keep in mind though that fumes are toxic, so do this in a well-ventilated area (like outside if you can), or wear a respirator. I also like to wear latex gloves so if I get it on my hands, I don't need to stop to clean them, but I don't think I'd buy them just for the resin - they are a good thing to have for all sorts of crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008 09:26:45 PM »

You want to stick them on tape (wide, like box tape) so that you have a bottom. Mix resin according to instructions - you'll need very little. Then get a tiny paintbrush, and use that to get it between the perler beads. (i.e. don't pour it, just dip the paintbrush in the resin to get some resin on it, then use it to carry the resin to the beads.) Then, put your pendant/tape/resin thing in a container that you can cover up so that dust doesn't get in, and wait. Also, make sure to clean the paint brush with acetone or paint remover as soon as you are done, because if resin cures on the brush, the brush is a goner. When it cures, take off the tape, and you're done! The resin thread has more tips and tricks, but basically, that is it.

Keep in mind though that fumes are toxic, so do this in a well-ventilated area (like outside if you can), or wear a respirator. I also like to wear latex gloves so if I get it on my hands, I don't need to stop to clean them, but I don't think I'd buy them just for the resin - they are a good thing to have for all sorts of crafts.

You're a lifesaver! I'm totally going to try this. God knows I've tried everything else! Thank you so, so very much, this is a huge help. If all goes well, I can bring all my broken perlers back to life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

hello color!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008 09:49:01 PM »

You're welcome, & good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
SNTV - Take Me Home Tonight
Our 2011 Oscars Winner Picks
Unknown Premiere
John Turturro on Acting Out an Orgasm
John Turturro on Playing Jesus Quintana in The Big Lebowski
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...