A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarian Dinner Party  (Read 786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amc-

Sometimes, I colour outside the lines on purpose.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2008 01:58:27 PM »

Around Valentines Day I'm hoping on having a Dinner Party for myself and a few friends. 3 of us are vegetarian and the other 3 LOVE meat. I don't want to cook two different meals so I was wondering if anyone had an idea of something fabolous I could make that we would all like. My non-veg friends said they're with there not being any meat unless there's tofu. So, I suppose the only rule is NO TOFU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Love, AnnaMarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm so crafty I make people. Lily-Ann was born February 23, 2012.
Baby #2 is due November 27, 2013.
LeesaLove
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008 09:54:17 AM »

a baked potato  or pasta bar?

I would use small potatoes plan on 2 or 3 per person ... then lots of diff toppings
(vegitarian chilli, shredded cheese, sour cream, steamed broccollli, diced steamed veggies in a lite oil)  (wrap the potoaes in foil & keep in oven on low (serve the chili in a crock pot), line up the other toppings in bowls...

Or jsut go with the chilli a big p0t of veggie chilli, a nice crusty bread, the n a "fancy" dessert... broiled grapfruit half with a straberry drizzle  or mixes berry short cakes.

I had a dinner party one time for a mix of vegitaians & Atkins diet people... (the veg did eat cheese) so i did fondue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008 10:08:18 AM »

On that same note, taco bar - black beans, shells, rice, avocado, salsa, cheese, onions, lettuce - you can use just about anything.

Or a nice spinach lasagna? Lots of meat-eaters like lasagna.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshine11112
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008 10:15:13 AM »

You could also do fajitas since you build those yourself and you can have the option of chicken or tofu as the main part
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008 10:46:49 AM »

Veggie cooking is so good and yummy that you should have plenty of options.

You could have a full course dinner buffet type thing.

Rolls, salad, fingerfoods for your first course. The fajita/taco thing might work well here.

Then dinner (with grilled chicken or well-marinated steak as a choice in one of the dishes - let them choose). Kebab food like fried veggies with meat as an add-on or extra choice would be good.

Then for dessert, something sweet and cooked without the flesh of animals. It could be vegetarian (vs. vegan) - you could make cake and/or mousse with genuine eggs & milk.

If the vegetarians are not vegan - i.e. they will eat fish, milk, eggs - you could serve fish or seafood as a choice for the main dinner. Lots of people like breaded & fried fishsticks; you could serve those as a fingerfood. Braised shrimp might be another good choice.

Or you could get 2 pizzas, one for veggie and one for meat-lovers. Serve salads as the side dish.

These people should be coming over for the company, not the food - you're not a restaurant. Don't try to 110% please everyone. So long as they don't get ptomaine, and they have fun hanging out with you, things have been great!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008 12:52:52 PM by naturalcreation - Reason: typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008 10:58:47 AM »

Pasta is a great idea. You could even have a side option of meatballs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
LeesaLove
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008 03:15:54 PM »

So long as they don't get ptomaine, and they have fun hanging out with you, things have been great!
   thats funny... but true.

I tend to worry abt the littel details & FORGET that the company is really what makes a party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madmommymia
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008 08:21:41 AM »

My husband is vegetarian and I am not, and while we have some friends that are and some that aren't, I do my best to do vegetarian cooking even meat eaters love.  While I don't do too much pasta, because often times it is the only thing meat eaters can do to appease their non-meat eater friends, there are many alternatives.  Quiche is a a good thing to make for a dinner party with some great veggies and rolls on the side.  I have done my traditional stuffed cabbage rolls (or glumpkies) but made some for the vegetarians without the meat in the stuffing mixture.  Another great idea is shishkabobs and wild rice.  There are lots of vegetarian and Mexican food which can be made to suit both vegs and non-vegs.  Pierogies are also a good idea, especially sauteed with apples and onions.  Crepes with a cheese and veggie filling are also a great option.  I hope this helps.  Good luck in all your dinner party endeavors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My friends I am addicted to "crackster".  I think they might be right.
I am interested in personal swaps, just send me a pm!

I love my life, my hubby, my sons, and my 2 crazy dogs!  Isn't life grand?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Grits for Shrimp and Grits
Learn how to Make Shrimp and Grits
Learn how to Plate the Chicken Breasts with Grits and Orange Remoulade
Learn how to Prepare Grain Mustard Orange Remoulade
Learn how to Prepare Potato Grits
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...