A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Similar Shawl to Evelyn Clark's Lace Leaf Shawl?  (Read 2138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitknitter
« on: January 03, 2008 01:11:41 PM »

I am trying to declutter and minimize my spending, so I would really prefer to NOT buy Evelyn Clark's leaf lace shawl. You might need to scrolls down to find it:
http://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/V4_shawls.html

Is anyone aware of a free pattern that is similar to it? Or is this pattern in book 1 or 2 of Barbara Walker's dictionaries?

So far I have found this:
http://knitting-and.com/wiki/Chair_Cover_11_-_Leaf_Pattern

Also, is it just me or is the edging for the leaf lace shawl the same as the edging for the flower basket shawl? It is here as well, you might need to scroll till you get to it:
http://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/V4_shawls.html

Thanks in advance to those who respond with ideas about alternatives.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008 04:24:04 PM »

Kiri is nice and free - not exactly like the Leaf Lace Shawl but still pretty. If you "search" the Completed Objects board you can see a few of them in different yarns.

Simple Knits 314 Triangle Shawl Listis sure to have something close also. Tip - the ones in bold are free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jax3303
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008 04:43:07 PM »

You might like the Adamas Shawl. http://mimknits.com/shop/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&products_id=199

THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008 10:15:29 PM »

Most lace patterns are made up from stitch patterns that are out there, you just have to put them together. Instead of searching for one you like, why not make one that is exactly what you want (although if you want a lace pattern maybe you could google free lace shawl knit pattern, or check out Knitty or knittingpatterncentral.com etc.?)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitknitter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008 05:16:07 AM »

Thanks, I like the pattern of the leaves in Evelyn Clark's leaf lace shawl. Do you know where I can find this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008 08:36:43 AM »

There's an extensive stitch library at knittingfool.com and there are several stitch pattern books that can be found in libraries. Barbara Walker's, Vogue, Big Book of stitch patterns, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
knitknitter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008 01:29:17 PM »

There's an extensive stitch library at knittingfool.com and there are several stitch pattern books that can be found in libraries. Barbara Walker's, Vogue, Big Book of stitch patterns, etc.
I have looked through all of the publications that I have access to and online. I do not have access to a library with these types of books. That is why I am posting on this forum and asking people for advice.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat2cat
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008 10:36:26 PM »

On page 212 of Barbara Walker's "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" (Schoolhouse Press, 1998 is the version I'm looking at) is a pattern called Openwork Leaf Pattern.  It is close but I'm not convinced it's exactly the same.  I also found the shawl pattern on another site, perhaps a bit cheaper, if you have to break down and buy it:  http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/Patterns.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitknitter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008 01:21:27 AM »

On page 212 of Barbara Walker's "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" (Schoolhouse Press, 1998 is the version I'm looking at) is a pattern called Openwork Leaf Pattern.  It is close but I'm not convinced it's exactly the same.  I also found the shawl pattern on another site, perhaps a bit cheaper, if you have to break down and buy it:  http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/Patterns.htm
Thanks for this information about the Barbara Walker Treasury, I really appreciate it  Grin.  I will go check mine. I did wind up breaking down and buying it. However, unfortunately, in the country where I am, it costs almost $10!  Shocked  Shocked  If I were in the US, I would have had no qualms about buying it and for the life of me I do not know why Fibertrends does not just do direct downloads, they would have far more customers than they do now, as many people who care about the environment (shipping lots of paper around is a)bad for trees and b) greatly increase Fibertrend's carbon footprint) and saving on shipping would buy it. Thank heavens both Interweave and Vogue are now allowing people to buy some patterns via the Internet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008 10:10:46 PM »

Oh dude I agree completely. I just paid an ungodly amount of money for Fiddlesticks Knitting to ship TWO patterns from Canada, seriously it's just paper! If that's supposed to prevent customers dispersing the pattern by sending it free to all their friends electronically, hello SCANNER? well we do have far more options as knitters than 10 or 20 years ago...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 3
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 4
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 1
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 2
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...