A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Socks-Priscilla Gibson Roberts  (Read 592 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swellgirl
« on: January 06, 2005 06:24:11 PM »

I have no problem with top-down socks & I've been wanting to try toe-up.  So I've been trying to knit the toe-up crew socks from PGR's Simple Socks, but I can't get it right.  The toe shaping has a lot of holes in the side & I'm not sure if it's how I'm doing it or just the technique.

I'll break down what I've done so far:
Invisible cast with 30 sts.  Knit until last st then turn.  YO and purl to last st, turn.  YO knit, knit to one less stitch than before (up to paired stitch/yo of the previous row).  YO purl, purl to etc. Do this until 12 sts remain between YOs.

Next row, YO and knit to first available YO. reverse the stitch and turn.

YO, purl until first YO, slip the st and place it back on the left needle.  Join this YO with the next st with an SSP.
YO, knit until first YO, slip next 2 sts as to purl, place back on left needle and k3tog.
YO, purl until first YO, slip next 3 sts as to knit, place back on left needle and SSSP from the back.

This is where the holes come in.  I'm slipping & returning all sts separately.  I purl into the back of the 3 purl sts, but knit in the front of the k3tog.  Maybe the problem is what I consider the YO.  Currently, I'm slipping the pair of sts the make of the YO and then the first st after the gap.  Or should I knit the first st of that pair and then slip the YO, slip next st after the gap and following YO?

Help please, I don't want to frog this for the 5th time.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImAKite
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005 08:08:55 PM »

I don't know if this will help or not.  OK, probably not.  I have that book too and it confuses me to no end.  I tried the top-down socks in it and had very similar problems to yours.  I ripped and reknit many times and they're still sitting in the "Ihateyou" pile.  Mine aren't so much holes as a line of really really big loose stitches marching up the sides of each heel and at the toe.

Good luck and I hope if you find a solution, you'll pass it on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swellgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005 08:00:12 PM »

This website is a pretty good tutorial:
http://www.spindlitis.com/knit/scrap_sock.htmlhttp://
Pictures aren't that great, but it made the process easier.  I just finished my heel and it looks great.  I don't think I've ever been happier while knitting.

When you do your YO on the purlside, take special notice of how she does hers.  It's a little different than a regular purl YO.  But they helped me close the gaps.  I now have two tiny gaps by the last heel decreases.  I just didn't read further where she explained why they happened and how to get rid of them.

Now on to my toe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jessica Burkhart Talks About Take the Reins
The Monstrumologist Book Trailer
A Loving Tribute to E. Lynn Harris
Richard Doetsch Talks About The 13th Hour
House Rules Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...