A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Scarves for the Homeless  (Read 672 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2008 10:03:10 PM »

I hope it's ok to post this since this isn't my charity, just one that I am contributing to a bit.  I stumbled across this on an etsy forum and I signed up to knit a scarf!  Here's a link to the forum thread so you can see the info!  I hope some Craftsters will show their charitable spirit and knit with me!!

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5395626

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
Llola
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008 10:39:53 PM »

Call me strange but I've never seen a homeless person wearing a scarf.  I think they need blankets or jackets.

Regardless, I think it's cool that you are trying to make a difference! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008 12:04:19 AM »

I don't actually see many homeless people at all.  I don't live in Denver; I'm just sending the scarf there.  While blankets or jackets may be needed also, I can't imagine a homeless person turning down a scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
riverwatson
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008 08:09:52 AM »

Cheesy You never see my scarf when I'm all bundled up either!

I (an atheist) attend a church that scarfs strangers. Anytime a new person comes to church without a scarf, the little kids run up and scarf them with a scarf that our knitting/crocheting group "Heart Strings" has produced. We also donate a lot of scarves and shawls and things to shelters, nursing homes, new babies, and sick or grieving people that we hear could use something snuggly. It's pretty cool. I like the idea of crocheting or knitting scarves for those less fortunate because handmade scarves and things have a lot of love and energy put into them, they aren't just spun on a machine in a factory, you know? And I know, from my own experience, that receiving something handmade is a very good feeling. It cheers you up to receive a nice, handmade, snuggly, PRETTY scarf or shawl or blanket when you're going through a rough time. Because then at least you know somebody SOMEWHERE cares.

I think it's a great idea. And here in Dayton, Ohio, I see homeless people everywhere. most of them wearing scarves this time of year. sometimes two or three at a time! thankfully, I see almost none on the street unless they're waiting for the bus. We have two very well known shelters in town, an overnight shelter and a day/recreation shelter, as well as two women's shelters, and I think two youth shelters. There are often bus tokens and day passes distributed among these places though, so I see homeless people waiting for the buses a lot. Scarves definitely come in handy there. The streets are very windy. They're good for keeping the cold out of your coat, you know?

Anyway, I think it's a great idea. Especially in cities with huge homeless populations like Dayton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Popcorn Orange Chicken Recipe
How to Make the Perfect Peach-Blueberry Crumble
Banana-Split Funnel Cake Recipe
Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches at Holey Cream in NYC
Homemade Thai Chili and Watermelon Freezer Pop Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...