A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bette Davis' All About Eve Dress -- a crazy question  (Read 559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vorare
« on: January 07, 2008 11:34:09 PM »

Hello friends and lovers! I'm invited in two weeks to a "dead celebrities" costume party, and in my wildest of dreams I go as Bette Davis as Margo Channing from All About Eve.

My question is: do you know of a pattern or a method that might approximate Margo's party dress?

There's also a video on YouTube and replicas pictured here in fabric and here in polymer clay.

I'm not much of a tailor/seamstress, so I'd love to have some idea of what I'm up against. And seriously, this would make my life. Talk about having every Halloween sewn up for the rest of your life, eh? (No pun intended!)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008 11:39:12 PM by vorare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When do you learn that the world, like any diner worth its salt, is open twenty-four hours a day?"
-Adverbs by Daniel Handler

Ravelry | Wists
kathleenalice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008 03:54:34 AM »

I think it's do-able. It's just a matter of taking your time and doing it piece by piece. I'd say start on the bodice, then do the drapey over-the-shoulder bit, then the sleeves, then the skirt. I'm sorry I don't know of a pattern but it looks to me like something that could feasably be worked out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vorare
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008 01:08:03 PM »

I also asked at the Sew Obsessed group on Ravelry, and mamafitz there came up with this pattern:

http://www.butterick.com/item/B4918.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=2

It's fabulous! I'll just have to pleat the bodice instead of doing the twisty thing, and add decorative pleated side-straps.

The order of operations you suggested sounds good. Thank you so, so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When do you learn that the world, like any diner worth its salt, is open twenty-four hours a day?"
-Adverbs by Daniel Handler

Ravelry | Wists
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008 01:14:03 PM »

I'd start with a strapless dress (and a better bra than Margo had... though I'm sure that Miss Davis wore it as part of the character.) And a full skirt.

Then tube sleeves in matching fabric, elastic on both ends. Then pleated shoulder straps, tacked to the bodice of the strapless dress and the top of the tube sleeves.

BTW, did you know that Miss Davis's "red" dress in JEZEBEL was really brown too? Since the film is B&W, the brown read as red.

Fab frock! Start looking for a cigarette holder, darling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 6/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 7/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 5/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 13/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 2/13
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...