A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Can't recycle!  (Read 2108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auroravioletta
« on: January 02, 2008 07:36:24 PM »

Okay, so I moved to a new city in September, and the recycling here is atrocious! The city seems to provide practically zilch, and my apartment building only provides recycling services for newsprint, glass, and cans.

I can't stand to put things in the trash that I know don't belong there, but by now I am swamped with the things that any reasonable city should be helping me recycle.

The big three I'm being swallowed by are:

Paper
-Office paper
-Junk mail
-Catalogues
-Old receipts

Plastic
-Take-out containers (washed)
-Water Bottles
-Juice bottles
-Vitamin bottles
-Grocery and bread bags
-Other plastic food packaging in miscellaneous shapes and sizes

Cardboard
-Clean food boxes of all sizes (like cereal and tea boxes)
-Printed corrugated boxes (The glossy ones that useful things from the store come in)
-Plain corrugated boxes (Like you get packages in through the mail)
-Tubes from toilet paper and paper towels

And so on. And so forth.

I've tried using the search function, but there's so much to wade through to find posts that are actually asking about similar things, especially when I have so many things!

The best kind of projects would be practical ones (no toys and knick-knacks-- the last thing I need is more clutter!) and ones that I can make look polished and pretty, so I don't feel like I'm living with trash (it's a stupid psychological thing).

Ideas I have garnered so far:
-Recycled paper (Not sure where to start here)
-Paper mache (I don't know how to make this look pretty, though.)
-Cardboard templates/stencils/etc
-Postcards
-Gift Tags
-Picture frames
-Gift bags
-Folders
-Books
-Decorated boxes to hold stuff (I don't actually need any of these, though.)
-Toys for my bunny to chew on

What else??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
bvolden
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008 10:17:46 PM »

well if u need to get rid of the stuff....try a daycare center.  I use to use all sorts of things for crafts and they can always use paper and the mags the can use for projects in schools.  Hope this helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarakat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008 06:37:05 AM »

I agree with the daycare idea. Also try elementary schools, after-school programs, scout troops, or summer camps.
You could also use your catalogues to make magazine bowls or trivets... http://alittlehut.blogspot.com/2007/09/recycle-project-no-7-magazine-bowl.html#links If you paint or spraypaint them afterwards you could probably conceal their trashy origins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroravioletta
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008 08:35:05 AM »

Oh wow! That magazine bowl project is fantastic!

I'll have to look into finding daycares in my neighborhood. You really think they'd find his stuff useful?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
sea_of_pain
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008 02:33:08 PM »

this won't put much of a dent in the pile, but you can roll up old catalogs and put them in tall boots to help them keep their shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Karia
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008 05:19:30 AM »

have you petiioned your local council yet? You could even start the recycling initiative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008 05:38:44 AM »

Do you have a garden? When the store I worked for closed,I brought home tons of paper bags and put a thick layer on the ground to smother out weeds.I've used newspapers and cardboard for that also.You can buy a bag of shredded mulch to spread on top to hide them.
I could see using the lids for making magnets witth resin-would a school art department or scout troop be interested?Someone here on craftster uses plastic bottles to make beads for jewelry.If I remember right,she cut them into a long skinny triangle,just like for paper beads,colored them with markers or paint,rolled them up,held it with pliers,and briefly took a heat gun to it to seal it.
Vase-glue/tie a few skinny bottles together,put inside a big vase,decorated jar,whatever to hide it.All those small opening should act like a flower frog to hold your bouquet.
Plastic bags can be made into yarn "Plarn" for crocheting,and can be ironed to make fabric.Look on the eco craftalong,and it's also one of the top 2007 craftster projects.On the shrinky dink board-they say clear #6 plastic,like take out lids,can be used as shrink plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
pentalia
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008 07:40:45 AM »

If you do any planting, you can use carry-out containers, plastic bottles, cardboard milk cartons, etc. as containers for seed-starting.  Just cut the tops off, poke some holes in the bottoms, and you've got loads of free pots.  Lids can be used underneath to catch water as it drains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doe_eyes
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008 11:23:15 PM »

there's a great paper-making tutorial here on craftster...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=182021.0
you can cut down some of the containers to help organize stuff, like office supplies, craft supplies, makeup/hair things....
i use cereal boxes for textbook covers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm just a girl, doin' my own thing
RecycleCindy

My Signature Recycled Bag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008 09:09:54 PM »

Do you crochet? I have several patterns for making purses, totes, cosmetic bags, coasters etc. out of plastic bags and bread bags. Here is the link to my free patterns page. http://www.myrecycledbags.com/my-pattern-links/

PM me if I can help further. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com
My Website dedicated to recycling & crafting
Free patterns & ideas for recycled crafts!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Everyday Items to Protect Book Covers
How to Make an Art Smock
How to Make a Cigar Box Pocketbook
How to Create Shadow Puppets
How to Create a Portable Play Sack
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...