A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dried oranges  (Read 4112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aeroplane
« on: December 18, 2003 11:08:40 AM »

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ee036d25/bc/crafts/__sr_/orangeproject.jpg?phIzf4_ABPGxTbxX

i tried drying oranges this year for holiday garlands and such and thought i'd share the project.  warning: if you want to try this, i'd suggesting having a couple movies or good books handy.

to dry the oranges, i sliced them as thin as possible (i'll admit i made a LOT of boo-boos, and only got 4-5 slices per orange that i could actually use).  i lined them up on a cookie sheet and baked them in the oven at 200 degrees with the oven door open a little.  and let them bake, and bake, and bake, for about 3-4 hours, until the skins all seemed tough.  i flipped them about every 45 minutes to keep the drying even.  when you take them out, they'll still be soft in the middle, but that's ok.

i let mine sit out for a few weeks before i actually did anything with them.  i think you could use them right away though.

i used mine to make a garland for my mother, who loves the color orange and because oranges are traditional for yule, the december holiday my parents celebrate.  i'm still in the process of making it, as you can see above.  i started with 3 cinnamon sticks, and have been sewing the orange slices together very, very painstakingly.  since i'm no seamstress and have no clue what to call the stitch i used (if it even is one!), here is a picture:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ee036d25/bc/crafts/__sr_/orangeproject2.jpg?phIzf4_AJSC0BJ17

other ideas are to string them them through the hole in the center (you'd have to dry a LOT of oranges though), use bay leaves or pinecones in place of the cinnamon sticks i used, or to use single slices with ornament hooks for orange ornaments.

if you live in a place with citrus trees everywhere like i do (arizona) this is almost a free project too Smiley

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010 11:53:41 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fix photo issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fuligin
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004 11:33:37 AM »

I love this idea, and think of the good smell!  Other ways to dry the oranges include a food dehydrator or on top of/underneath a hot radiator for several days.

You can also make orange boxes as follows:

- Cut orange in half and scoop out the meat.
- Carefully scrape away the white pith so that the orange shell is thinner, and thus quicker to dry.
- Find a drinking glass whose bottom fits into the orange shell.  This glass should be oven-safe.
- Place the glass upside-down on a cookie sheet and fit the orange shell, cut side down, onto it.  The glass acts as a form as the shell dries.
- Put the whole kit into the oven and dry at a very low temperature.  I usually conserve gas by just leaving the whole works in the oven overnight for several days, letting the heat from the pilot light do the work.  (If you live with others or are forgetful, leave a lot on the oven door, lest you forget and incinerate your orange.)

You can do many at one time and, if you use just the right size glasses, can end up with halves that fit neatly into each other, thereby creating fragrant orange boxes for gifts or what-have-you.

I think Martha did this on her show, but don't let that stop you.   Smiley

My next project is to make a set of citrus boxes that nest into each other, starting with a gigantic pummelo rind, then grapefruit, orange, lemon, and lime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fuligin
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004 12:27:02 PM »

Oops, I mean, leave a "note" on the oven door.  D'oh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004 08:41:49 PM »

I love oranges! How orange-y do they smell when they are dried?

And I love the idea of the orange boxes... I might just have to try those too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
aeroplane
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004 11:01:48 PM »

what a good idea, fluigan!

anna reilly- they don't smell very orangy.  i guess you could always spritz them with some kind of orange essence, but they end up just kinda smelling like old, baked oranges :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 11/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 12/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 13/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 8/13
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 1/26
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...