A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog Fur Yarn  (Read 276 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2008 08:10:27 AM »

I know this topic was brought up before but this weekend I was catching up on my Knitty Gritty and sure enough, Vicki had someone who spun dog fur and knitted. My husband got disgusted just because we know how our dogs smell a bath or walking in the rain. I just remember the last time I went to pick up my Shih-Zu from the groomers. After 15 minutes I could breathe and I'm not asthmatic, just allergic to dogs. I wouldn't be able to wear or knit anything with dog fur yarn.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenoftroy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008 09:39:48 AM »

there were, for the most part, no domesticated animals in "new world" (americas)

Llamas are the big exception, (and limited to highlands of SA)

dogs came with the original people.

Textiles of various sort were skills developed. (or perhaps also imported)

Cotton is native to americas (and to old world!) but with out domestic animals, textiles in NA were not a big feature of the culture

Exceptions:(south americas/llamas) in NA,  Bark cloth (uses by many original peoples) Navaho--(who use wool from sheep they caught/killed, combined with cotton) and some people of the pacific north west who bred dogs for 'wool' (these were special dogs, and only the belly fur was used, and it was used for ritual garments (like initiations-(baptisms!) or marriages, or coming of age rituals--for women!--men had different coming of age rituals)

not all dog fur smells, and to some degree, we (north americans, especially, europeans to a lesser degree) are a people who don't like strong (body) odors.

we want to be 'scentless' or artifically scented.  we wash, we only use floral/spice scents on body products, we change our clothes, and wash them frequently.

in some (many societies!) body odor is acceptable (and even considered attractive!) and the odor of dog fun (or the oder of furs in general (and mink coats, and other furs smell too!) would have been much more acceptable.

i don't think i would like to wear dog fur, (because of the odor) but then, i don't like the smell a house has when a dog lives in it!

but i don't mind my multinational neighbors who often smell of the spices they uses in cooking (the smell tumeric, like the smell of garlic, passes through the skin--eat them, and you smell of them!)

but many, many folks find any body odor (even perfume!) unacceptalbe. 

(we don't often realize this, but NA's are in the minority in this view!--in most of the world, smelling of soap is not a good thing!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
90 Second Simply Superb Grilled Burger Recipe
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
How to Make Bacon Tomato Sliders in 90 Seconds
How to Make a 90 Second Chicago Style Hotdog
St. Louis-Style Pizza?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...