A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Low Necklines?  (Read 1175 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JillBoBill
« on: January 02, 2008 07:37:33 AM »

Okay, so you know how it is -- you're big and the odds are that you've got these ginormous ladyberries that take up a quadbazillion-DD brassier. Atleast, this is my problem.

So, here's a story about a dress I bought at Marshall's. I shouldn't have bought it, I know that now. I've never worn it out in public once and if I remember correctly, it was more expensive than I would have liked. For a long time, I didn't have a bra that worked, but now that I have a really nice brassier for my quadbazillion-DD ladyberries, I can wear it without the front of my bra showing. But the 'neckline' is so far from the neck (as in it plummets straight down) that it's.... Well, it's uncomfortable to walk around in and then I've got this huge shelf of cleavage staring everyone in the face and the only people that seem to notice in any way other than disgust are creepy weirdos (you know the type!).

So, all that said, what could I do to this dress to make it more ... family friendly? I've tried wearing a cami under it - and that looked alright, except that it's a patterned dress and it's almost impossible to find something that matches without looking 'off'. And I'm afraid to sew a triangle of fabric onto it because that just never seems to look right either.

It kind of, basically, looks just like this:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_eOvi3fbI-Ao/RsMKK6XBJqI/AAAAAAAAAc4/oN398G-gO0E/s1600-h/eva+longoria+maxi+dress+prada+bag.jpg

Except I'm pretty sure mine has a bit more fabric to it, especially under the arms and around the back.

Thanks for all the help I'm sure I'll get, guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
defenestr8or
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008 08:10:24 AM »

I have many pieces of clothing that have this issue - what I've ended up doing is this - I took a black bra and sewed a panel across the front - (either plain black or black lace) - that way the "modesty panel" stays with my body rather than moving around with the shirt.
It's not an ideal solution, but it works for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlyGirlTomBoy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008 10:20:25 AM »

Here's what I usually do for dresses and shirts like that:  cami's (i have over 50, mainly solids) and try to match it to a color in the outfit; little cropped cardigans (the lacy ones are my fav because then it's not super covered up); privacy panel (personally, I like them kinda cowl-ish); Depending on what I'm wearing a low cut dress or top to, I layer with short/long sleeve tees kinda like this  (borrowed image from shopgypsy)

Hope some of that is helpful   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008 10:24:31 AM by GirlyGirlTomBoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisyannissa
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008 12:47:22 PM »

I usually just pin it. You can use a safety pin or a cute pin/brooch. Around Christmastime I used a Christmas tree pin, it was cute and functional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clayfaery
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008 01:14:52 PM »

you could sew a lace panel.. or maybe wear it over a shirt or tube top ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008 01:17:29 PM »

What about double sided tape to keep it a little more closed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create the Perfect Ponytail
Debunking Hair Related Myths
How to Git Read of Split Ends
Hottest Hair Trends for Fall
Safflower Oil Treatment for Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...