A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: if fair isle was a person i'd hurt them!!!! :)  (Read 454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NeonArmadillo
« on: January 01, 2008 10:24:55 PM »

okay here is the deal. I'm making a hat, not my first hat, but my first try at fair isle. and i'm stuck before I've even began!!!

1- how do you 'add on' your second color of yarn when it ask for it. I've looked for videos of fair isle and they just show you how to knit with two colors which is great, but I need a video of how to get the silly second color on.

and

2. the pattern calls of a round of design and then calls for on whole a round of white and then one whole round of blue. Everything that I'd read and watch said that you should not carry your second color for more then a few stitchs sooooo i'm just so lost. do i drop the blue and knit all white and break the blue re attach it and knit a whole round blue then start the pattern again be reattaching the white and then the blue when they ask for it???  Tongue

I'm am so lost Sad I hope somebody knows what I'm talking about lol... because I think I just confused myself a little. haha

thanks guys!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is infinitely stranger than the mind of man can imagine.-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008 11:45:10 PM »

Have you done stripes at all?  I'd join in the new color like you've join other yarns (there is a video in the beginner misc./tips section about joining different colored yarns on Knitting Help).

For the rounds, you could cut a tail like you described, or just drop the second yarn, then carry it up the row when you need it again (for 1 row, that's not going to hurt anything).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NeonArmadillo
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008 07:06:25 AM »

thanks so much knittinfiasco Smiley

i got all confused because i was reading in one of my books this big weird way of joining yarn. I was like under-over-around what are they talking about? I was thinking 'do i have to do it this way?' can't I  do it the other way? lol, but thank you so much for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is infinitely stranger than the mind of man can imagine.-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008 07:38:42 AM »

You're welcome. Smiley  Remember: patterns are more like guidelines: you don't have to do everything exactly as written. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008 09:43:22 AM »

When you're doing intarsia, you bring the new yarn up from under the old yarn when you switch colors to kind of "interlock" them.  It's a little odd at first, but it makes sense once you see the yarns crisscross.  You do it so you don't get a hole in the fabric when you switch colors.

Some instructions tell you to do it with fair isle and other stranded knitting, but I've heard it's not really necessary since you're not doing a big block of color like you are with intarsia.  The strands kinda keep it together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008 05:45:54 PM »

For what it is worth, here are my 2 cents' worth:

1- how do you 'add on' your second color of yarn when it ask for it. I've looked for videos of fair isle and they just show you how to knit with two colors which is great, but I need a video of how to get the silly second color on.

I just start knitting with the new color and weave in the end later (just like you would do if you had to start using a new ball of yarn).  I do not cut the old color if I will be using it again (like in the same row or in the next row.)  If the color would be carried up several rows, I might cut the old and add it again later.

and

2. the pattern calls of a round of design and then calls for on whole a round of white and then one whole round of blue. Everything that I'd read and watch said that you should not carry your second color for more then a few stitchs sooooo i'm just so lost. do i drop the blue and knit all white and break the blue re attach it and knit a whole round blue then start the pattern again be reattaching the white and then the blue when they ask for it??? 

If I am doing a stripe, I drop the first color and work the second, then pick up the first color when the pattern calls for it.  This works best if knitting in the round.  If working flat/straight, if you are using even numbers of rows, you will be able to pick up the other color when you get to that side of the knitting.   If the stripes are really wide, I would break the colors and weave in the ends. 

On the other hand, you can work the ends into your design by leaving them as fringe  (if you cut the yarns at each change) or even as little bumps along the selvedge edge (if you do not cut the yarns.)

One of the hardest things about fair isle for me is keeping a loose tension....the color carried across the back needs to be loose so it does not pull in the work.  A trick I have been told of is to pull your work frequently to keep the floats loose.  Others have suggested that I try wrapping the yarn around my finger tip as I throw it to knit....leaves a longer span of yarn.  Hope that made sense!

Practice helps....do some practice work to try out the technique and work on your tension. 

Happy knitting,
Anne   

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Building an Affordable Posing Table
How to Choose a Great Flashlights
Making Coroplast V-Flats for Backdrop
Using Light and the Setting in Your Photograph
Awareness of Shadow in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...