A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: momma-to-be looking for cloth diaper patterns/advice  (Read 2066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MopTopStumptown
« on: January 01, 2008 09:08:46 PM »

Hiya!

Our 1st kiddo is due in early May and we'd like to use cloth diapers instead of disposables.  Ideally I'd like to start making a stockpile of dipes before I run out of energy/ambition but I'm stumped.  How many?  What kind?  Everyone I know with kids used disposables and can't offer firsthand advice.  We've tried looking for some basic info and have found some useful sites, but nothing compares to firsthand advice and I trust you craftsters.   Smiley

Have any of y'all:
(a) used cloth diapers
(b) made your own
(c) can recommend patterns or tell me which ones to avoid
(d) what style worked best for you? the worst?
(e) had problems with daycare/family/babysitters using cloth instead of disposables
(e) give some advice in general
(f) fabric recommendations
(g) what should I consider when making cloth?

I have don't have a serger, but that shouldn't be a problem. Right?  If there are links I should look at, I'll take those too!  Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

happyfrog
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008 02:48:19 AM »

Have any of y'all:
(a) used cloth diapers - YES (2 in cloth now, will be three in cloth when the next baby is born)
(b) made your own  - YES
(c) can recommend patterns or tell me which ones to avoid - i really like the chloe toes pattern.  has a GREAT fit on both skinny and fat kids (i have one of each, lol)  nice and trim, too.
(d) what style worked best for you? the worst? - for me i prefer a combo of fitteds and covers because i have oozy kids.  the double diaper system prevents a lot of oozings. ..
(e) had problems with daycare/family/babysitters using cloth instead of disposables - i would recommend making pocket diapers with aplix/touchtape for them - and prestuff them ahead of time so all they have todo is take a diaper, take off old one, wipe butt, and put new diaper on.  (My kids went to daycare for a year.)
(e) give some advice in general - it's an addictive hobby - sewing diapers
(f) fabric recommendations - flannel works great for fitted diapers.  pul or sandwich pul is awesome for diaper covers/waterproof layer on pocket diapers.
(g) what should I consider when making cloth? - that's it's fun seeing your child wear your fluff?  *grin*

I have don't have a serger, but that shouldn't be a problem. Right?  If there are links I should look at, I'll take those too!  Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!  no serger necessary.  Smiley  nice to have, though.

you will need to thoroughly prewash all fabrics before use to ensure as much shrinkage as happened.  it's a boring step but very necessary to ensure good fitting long term of your diapers.

do a google search for free cloth diaper patterns and you'll get a ton of hits.  to find the chloe toes pattern just type in chloe toes diaper in google and you'll get the website.

hth.

bettyann

ps  you may want to check out some of the diaper forums - that might be very helpful.  http://tinyurl.com/y7qthw  (i'm happyfrog there, too, lol.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
Soledad
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008 04:08:29 AM »

I second the link by HappyFrog.  It's a great forum with lots of wonderful links and advice and it's a fun site.
a)Yes but we are on and off
b)Yes
c)I really believe it's a matter of choice. Depends on what you are looking for in  a diaper.
d)At the moment it's prefolds and diaper covers and something called RRP.(linkypoo http://www.jordanpaperarts.com/tana/diapers/RRP/Ritas-Rump-Pocket-Pattern.htm)
e)Just do it . Yup it's addicting.
f)I use PUL which I get online or through another seller from a forum(always check feedback)
g)For me it was patience and trying not to be so perfect. Sometimes finding the fabrics can be difficult but not impossible.

Oh and Congratulations ! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurakate
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008 04:37:18 PM »

ok, i want to make some for my friend who's baby shower is in about 2 weeks, which is the easiest, bestest ones to make? i'm confused by all the terminology and she's the first out of my friends to have a baby. inserts no inserts...clippy things...i'm totally out of my element...the more i search the net the more confused i am as to where to start.

easiest, quick, cheap?

please help me!

x laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***letterbox love shop***
www.letterboxlove.etsy.com

*apologising in advance for my spelling, grammar and lack of tact...
sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008 05:24:46 PM »

Hiya,

Just my 2c worth:

(a) used cloth diapers

Yes! We have a 16-month-old who is almost exclusively in cloth (with the occasional disposable for big outings and overnight) and another on the way who will also be in cloth.

(b) made your own

Yes!

(c) can recommend patterns or tell me which ones to avoid

There are so many patterns out there, you'll just have to try a few and decide which one works best for you. I found that the best thing was to find a friend who already used some (in my case my cousin who has a little boy a year older than my DD!), borrowed one and traced it to make my own pattern!

(d) what style worked best for you? the worst?

Like the previous posters have said, it's really a matter of personal preference. Before my DD was born, I went mad sewing up loads of gorgeous fitted nappies out of the sweetest printed flannelette and rainbow coloured fleece, and then found that after a few months, she'd already grown out of them. They also took a very long time to dry (she was born in the winter which didn't help!!). So we switched to plain old terry towelling flat nappies, and we've been in them ever since! We use the Jo fold here: http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/articledetails.aspx?id=141. They're cheap to buy, last about 6 months before they get all hard and scratchy and you need to chuck them out (I cut them up into quarters, overlock the edges and use them as cleaning cloths! Fab!), and then all you really need to do is invest in some good quality covers. PUL is fine, but wool is better!

(e) had problems with daycare/family/babysitters using cloth instead of disposables

Didn't even bother to make a point, I just let daycare use disposables because I wouldn't expect anyone to do the flat+cover nappy system. But what the previous posters said - if you really want to, get/make some all-in-ones that will be just as easy to use as a disposable.

(e) give some advice in general

Go recycled fabric as much as possible, otherwise you'll spend a fortune! Charity shops are unreal for finding old towels, sheets and wool jumpers for cutting up. Check out the Frugal Diapering site here: http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html

(f) fabric recommendations

Cheaper fabrics like terry towelling, flannelette and cotton work fine, but you'll find that spending a little bit more on hemp, bamboo and microfibre for boosting the existing nappy will give you extra absorbency and less leaks.

(g) what should I consider when making cloth?

You're saving money, saving the environment, saving your baby's skin from awful chemicals and plastic, and being able to say, "I made it myself!".

Go for it! You won't regret it!

For Laura, are you sure your friend is planning to use cloth? I'd personally think of making her something like a knitted soaker (http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/soakers/pattern/ or http://community.livejournal.com/punk_knitters/110889.html) or bumjumper/butt sweater (http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html), which bub can wear even if mum decides that cloth is too much of a hassle and ends up using disposables. It's also winter over there, right? But in answer to your question, "easiest, quick, cheap": You guys have some lovely soft cotton prefolds over there that would make a lovely gift with a snappi or two and a couple of your hand-made soakers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpea74

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008 05:28:46 PM »

Laura! You're in Adelaide! Hi! *waves* I'm just across the border in Sydney!
Scrap everything I just said about winter and prefolds!
You can still make a soaker if you knit. Wool is just as good in summer cause it breathes and lets alot of the moisture evaporate. How are you holding up in your heatwave??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurakate
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008 03:08:49 AM »

hi sweetpea74!

yeah it's stinking hot!?!

thanks for the advice, my friend is using cloth diapers and has spoken to me about going to a shop here called "natures cradle" - really awesome organic, eco friendly baby shop which is also pricey so i was just going to try and make her some. they are a vegan couple so wool is a no-go.

i'm re-visiting the websites and reading...and reading...now

i'm doing the shower and am scared of taking on too much work.

x laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***letterbox love shop***
www.letterboxlove.etsy.com

*apologising in advance for my spelling, grammar and lack of tact...
sweetpea74

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008 11:50:05 AM »

Cool, well then how about some prefolds?? They're great for when baby is really small, and they can then be used as stuffing in pocket nappies when it's a bit bigger and not going through as many nappies. You can buy some hemp and flannelette and really make some cool combinations. They dry really quickly too!

A southerly has blown in overnight which has cooled everything down here! Hope it's heading your way soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008 10:13:18 PM »

You guys are awesome, I knew you'd be a fount of info.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Will keep you posted on progress as it happens (hopefully). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MommyTheMaid
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008 11:15:04 AM »

I never found  cloth pattern that worked for me.  Instead I layed out a Happy Heinie dipe and traced the shape of it.  Then I cut a microfleece layer and an outer cotton or flannel layer with vinyl ironed onto the wrong side and sandwiched them after putting elastic in the legs and in the back waist band leaving a small opening in the back.  Then I would put a homemade stuffer in the pocket usually made from layers of diaper cotton or DSQ prefolds.  Then I added the velcro to the tabs (which I eventually figure out that I could put on before sewing the sandwhich together) and my pocket dipes were done.  They were by far my favorite for washing reasons.

I know that sounds confusing as I am not good at explaining things, but my daughter wasn't shaped right for the mama bird patter which I hear is awesome or any of the others I found.\

Good Luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Hair Straight
How to Blow Dry Curly Hair
How to Keep Your Hair Silky and Smooth in Humidity
How to Prevent Frizzy Curls in Humidity
How to Take Out Braids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...