A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: felted purse, picking up stitches on the side of the purse. Confused!!  (Read 1078 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sarah1
« on: January 01, 2008 08:05:15 PM »

Huh Please help me, I am a beginner and I don't understand how to pick up and knit into the stitches on the side of the purse. Any help or tutorials I can look at to help me through this? I know I am making it harder than it really is. Cry

TIA 
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must going to be a good day, I actually got off the bed!
elijor
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008 08:23:48 PM »

knittinghelp.com has a vedio of "picking up stitches" on the "tips" page.

You should bookmark the site as there are videos of many techniques.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 08:24:38 PM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008 08:38:02 PM »

Thanks I bunch I did try that site but was still confused, maybe it is just a brain fart!!!

Sarah;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008 09:01:34 PM »

Sorry, I would try but I don't think I can explain it better than that video.

One thing I can say though is you may be over thinking it, when I first learned I thought I was doing something "wrong" because I wasn't really "knitting" the stitch as opposed to "picking up a stitch". Since the directions usually say "pick up and knit" I was sure I should be doing a "knit" once I pulled the loop through but you don't - you just "pull up a loop" and leave it on the needle ready to knit on the next round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah1
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008 04:29:06 AM »

I am suppossed to knit into the stitch but it seems I am knitting it down Embarrassed Does this sound crazy. I have finished the front part of the of the purse and now I am supposed to pick and knit stitches into the side.

Still confused Sarah Huh

Thanks for your quick response!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah1
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008 10:43:23 AM »

Still need help!!! Any other suggestions?

TIA 
Sarah Beginner knitter that needs help! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008 11:21:37 AM »

I'll try to help but a few questions first -

What pattern are you using? Can you link to it or post part of it so I'll know where you are?

Do you still have "live stitches" on the needle or have you bound off and just have a retangle of knitted fabric?

You said you knit the front and are now adding onto the sides - it is just the front and just the side? Or is it the front and back in one piece and now your adding in the side that will connect the front and back?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah1
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008 03:49:20 AM »

Ok, The pattern is called Fabulous Flappy Bags by Amy Swenson.I believe it is just the front of the bag and it still has live stitches. I worked in the garter stitch for 30 rows then it says to work in the stockinette stitch, knit 55 then pick up and knit 20 stitches along the side, then pick up and knit 55 stitches along the cast on edge then pick up 20 again on the other side.
Then I join and knit in the round for 66 rows.

I can do the knitting in the round , I am just confused at the part about picking up those first stitches on the side.

My local knitting shop is closed this week or I would have gone and have them help, they are really great!!

Hope this explains it well enough. Grin  Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeydew
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008 10:25:51 PM »

Picking up stitches is basically jamming your needle through the edge stitch, looping the yarn around the needle, pulling that loop through the stitch, and moving on to the next stitch to be picked up.  There are a variety of techniques, but they all come down to that basic process.  Just practie a few times, frog as needed, and you'll get the hang of it and find a way to do it so that you like the appearance.  Often you will pick up in a ratio of 5:7 or 2:3 to avoid bunchiness, but for a purse to become felted it probably won't matterif you pick up 1:1 or what have you.

I think Grumperina has a tutorial on her blog as well, but it might be better for once you have a stronger grasp of the process.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008 08:44:43 AM »

Pretend that the side of the work you pick up from is your left needle and you're going to `knit' stitches from it. Insert the right needle tip into the stitch at the corner, just below the last stitch on the row you knit. Wrap your yarn around it and pull through the stitch - just like knitting it. You should use a circular and you can push your live stitches to the other side so you can loop the needle for the first few you need to pick up on the edge. Then move your stitches back so they're all together and adjust your yarn if it's loose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anthony Vaccarello Spring/Summer 2014 - Paris Fashion Week
The Best Beauty Vitamins
Tips and Tricks for Engagement Session Beauty
How To Create the Perfect Pout
More Smoke Less Drama
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...