A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Whats with : " Not Intended for childrens sleep wear "?  (Read 2219 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2008 07:50:49 PM »

Hello .. I think this is the first time Ive posted in the questions board ... But this has been nagging at me .. What is with this super soft " snuggle flannel " and its ominous warning : NOT INTENDED FOR CHILDRES SLEEP WAER ! " It just doesn't make since .. when I hear that warning I think " well its flamable" But Ive made several " corn heating bags " out of it and have never had any fire issues .. Ive even had  hot ashes fall on them and just burn a Small hole .. no worse that cotton ...So is it flamable ? and if it is then what is it "INTENDED " FOR ..  I mean if its not for children then why does it come in little kid themed prints .. robots , rockets , cars , dinos ,kittys and such if its not for kids .. and come on Ive even seen Snuggle flannel with a print of Jammies ! now why are they printing pajamas on this fabric if its not for pajamas .. I am just really confused by this .. Am I Missing something ? does anyone know why this is ?

please help me ! lol  Smiley

Have a great night
Jayne
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 07:51:17 PM by violentjayne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaisyTattoo
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008 07:53:19 PM »

I hope someone comes thru with an answer for this one bc I've been wondering this myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008 08:09:26 PM »

It falls under the "CYA" category.  They have to put that warning on so that they don't get sued by someone who uses it for their children's pajamas and then lets the kid play with matches.  Heaven forbid that their kid should catch fire.  It is obviously the fault of the pajamas. 

The pajamas that you purchase in the store are supposedly treated with something that makes the fabric flame resistant.  The flannel you buy to make pajamas isn't.  It is a bit silly because if the purchased pajamas are exposed to flame, they will catch on fire. 

So feel free to use the flannel to make pajamas.  Just don't play with matches! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
KittenKaboodle

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008 07:47:39 AM »

The chemical used for treating children's pajamas is formaldehyde and it is  quite toxic.  It's used in embalming fluid and it's been found to be enough of a health hazard to children that many countries are banning it's use on children's clothes.  As children's bodies are smaller, they've discovered it has a bigger impact on their overall health than originally believed.  The figures used when saying there's no ill health effects from the fire retardants come from studies on adults, not children -and there's growing evidence that while we've protected kids from fire, we've poisoned them in the process. 

Here's an article about formaldehyde in clothing: :http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/233417/should_you_wash_new_clothes_they_could.html 

The true irony is that formaldehyde is mostly water soluble so it comes out after only a few washings, but it stays in the body far longer. Double the irony, some pajamas from china have over 500 times the level of formaldehyde as recommended so it's less likely to wash out and as such are a greater fire hazard than non treated pajamas. Whether or not to use flame retardant fabric is a tradeoff, no matter what you choose: you get protection from one thing, hazard from another.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaledrina
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008 09:19:47 AM »

They do that so you won't put your kid in clothes made from that. So if you set your kid on fire with approved clothing.. They'll come out slightly less flammable. Of course, setting children on fire is only approved when they're crying/screaming at movie theaters so the likelihood that their fireproof jammies will save them is nill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008 10:18:28 AM »

~'If a parent is dumb enough to let the kids play with matches in their pj's, the kids should be wearing treated pj's. All parents are potentially that stupid, so jammies need to be flame-retardant'~ That's how the government reasoned in the 70's. Seems like they would have thought of maybe using a parenting education campaign with billboards and psa's and such instead, to make parents think about safeguarding their kids instead of just trying to minimize injury. Sounds like using a bandaid for a gunshot wound to me.  Roll Eyes
There's a law that children's sleepwear has to meet non-flammability standards; this was put in place in the 70's due to kids having been burned while wearing loose-fitting cotton gowns and pj's. These incidents usually occurred when they were playing with matches or contacted a stove burner; had nothing to do with being burned in a house fire or anything. Fortunately, it applied to rtw garments, and you can sew your own. People reacted to the regs by buying thermal underwear for their kids to sleep in, and the CPSC tried to regulate that too, but a few years ago exempted tight-fitting garments from the regs.
So, of course the flannel is intended for kids' pj's, but they have to have the disclaimer because the government tends to regulate instead of problem-solve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cthulu
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008 10:38:10 AM »

My mother used that kind of flannel to make me some sleep wear, and it caused me to go into respiratory failure.

When I was a baby, certain types of cloth caused health problems.  I grew out of it at around 7.

I'm sure that this is not the case for all babies, but there are those that can have problems with certain dyes and chemicals used to make different fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Therisa

Knitfiend, Mad Sewist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008 11:19:47 AM »

If you don't want to use the treated fabric, you can make the clothes to be snuf-fitting, according to the government's regulations:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zPk5DN2vz3AJ:www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumsleepwear.pdf+children%27s+sleepwear+regulations&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Fabric Fast and pledged to buy no new yardage until July 1, 2008.

2008 Fabric Purchased: 56 yards

Fabric Sewn: 93 yards

Fabric Remaining: An Awful Lot

I am open to personal swaps!

http://www.wists.com/Therisa
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008 02:34:24 PM »

wow I had no idea this went so deep .. how odd that  they would still use formaldehyde . you think they would have solved this by now .. any way thank you all so much for being so informative ... I always get nervous that when I use snuggle flannel that someone is just going spontaneously combust while wearing it ... you have greatly eased my concerns   Wink

have a great night
Jayne
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stripey_cat
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008 05:59:09 AM »

I think it's more concern about tired kids falling asleep near an open fire or brushing against a stove (in the UK, central heating was rare until the 70s, so you still had fires or electric 2-bar heaters in bedrooms) than parental negligence.  Heck, my mother can still remember her grandmother sending her to bed with a candle for a nightlight!  It's part of the reason woolen flannels were so popular.  Trailing your skirt too near the hearth was also a problem, especially as young girls tended to wear shorter skirts in the day, but still had floor-length nightdresses.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Beauty Trends For Fall
Summer Beauty Tips
Back to School, Back to Work, Back to Fall Beauty
Toxic Beauty?
What Green Beauty Products Should We Be Using?
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...