A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
815 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretreating Batting?  (Read 416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auroravioletta
« on: January 01, 2008 04:28:54 PM »

Hi,

I bought some Warm & Natural cotton batting in order to make some pot-holders and similar things as late Christmas presents. I've never used batting for anything before. Do I need to preshrink it? What would happen if I don't? The directions say to handwash it if I want to preshrink, but they're unclear about whether it's actually necessary. It was phrased as an "if you want to" kind of thing. (Needless to say, I am a lazy lazy craftster and if I could get away with not handwashing, I'd probably go with that option. Especially because I bought more of it than will fit in my sink, in the hopes of having future batting-related projects. And because it was on sale.  Roll Eyes  I have a couple of yards.)

Also, I read somewhere that you can preshrink cotton batting by running it through the dryer. Would that actually work? Or would it damage it somehow? I assume I'd need to wet it first if I did.

Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008 07:49:49 PM »

It will shrink a bit ... if I remember correctly, abt 5%. However, it's a pretty thin batt ... I wouldn't use it for potholders, even if you doubled it up. I've never pre-washed my batting, but I like the very slightly puckered look.

For thinner, vintage-feeling quilts it's great, but for handlling hot pots and handles, you can purchase Insul-Bright batt which has a reflective metalized lining. I have a Clotilde catalog that lists it at $9.98 for 1 yard x 45". But I know I've seen it at JoAnn's for less.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
auroravioletta
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008 11:34:01 AM »

Hmmm.... Maybe I will experiment making myself some first. I think I'll try tripling it and see how that works. (Alas, I find myself unable to just go out and buy more batting Sad ) If it doesn't.....maybe for the next holiday.

Thank you for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Full Red Lips
How to Do Messy Mila Kunis Hair
How to Do Megan Fox Catwalk Makeup
The Keys to Concealing Your Real Age
Beauty Tips From Olivia Wilde
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...