A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh Noes! Sewing Machine Missing a Piece!  (Read 501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auroravioletta
« on: January 01, 2008 02:40:41 PM »

So my wonderfulawesome sewing machine has been away for repair for a month and a half. (Seriously! Isn't that horrible! I thought I would go crazy!) I just went to pick it up today, and when I got home I noticed that a piece of its case seems to be missing.  Shocked

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I remembered that circled part being covered in plastic before. Does your sewing machine have a plastic cover there?

I have already contacted the place I brought it for repair, but I haven't heard back from them yet about what I need to do etc. (I called them and sent them an email with the above picture, but I don't think they've had the chance to see the email yet.) It's frustrating because it takes me over an hour to get to the place via public transportation. Three transfers and a half mile of walking with a heavy sewing machine. In winter. (I don't own a car, and neither do any of my local friends.) So needless to say bringing it back in is a big deal. Not to mention that I don't want to have to wait another month and a half for my machine!

What should I do? Do you think it's okay to sew with as is for a while? Or would that just be asking for trouble? (Especially with linty fabric.)

I know I'll have to bring it in eventually, but if I could put it off until I can set aside the whole day for the  trip it would be a lot easier for me. And to finally have it back and not be able to sew  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008 03:34:51 PM »

My machine is a Kenmore and it is open in that same area.  My light is in that boxed in area around the presser foot mechanism - if it were closed in, it would get in the way of the light shining on the needle. 

don't know if this helps since my machine is not your machine, but I am guessing it would be OK to use - at least until you can get someone to answer definitively...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroravioletta
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008 04:01:57 PM »

See, I'm not 100 percent sure if mine was covered or not. It's not the kind of thing I've ever paid attention to, it just suddenly looks wrong to me. I've looked at the pictures in my manual and none of them show that angle, so I can't tell.

It would be embarrassing to panic over nothing.

Then again, I'd rather it actually be nothing than to actually have something missing! And I loves my sewing machine so much! If it were a person, I'd marry it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008 04:48:49 PM »

It is possible that there is a piece of the cover missing but it won't affect your sewing.  If you are working with material that has a high "fluff" factor, just be sure to clean the area after you finish.  And while you are at it, clean out the bobbin area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
pibbgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008 10:46:19 PM »

Mine is a brother and it is also open in that area.  I think it is okay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008 11:37:31 AM »

Thanks for checking all your machines! I think it was an unecessary freak-out. ....Of course after sewing for a little while I found a new and different way for my machine to be broken now (a real one!), but that's another story..... *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play With Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Integrate with Other Programs in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Understanding Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Sort and Organize Photos in Adobe Bridge
How to Automate the Workflow in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...