A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 52
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beautiful Use Swap. Signups Closed. Sendouts 2/29/08.  (Read 34914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annacharlotte
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2008 04:44:27 PM »

Have you guys seen this book?  http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Things-Seriously-Unexpected-Significance/dp/1568986904/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201307879&sr=1-1

It was all I could do to stop myself from buying it immediately.  If I didn't have a big pile of books to read about anti-racism for this class thing I just signed up for I'd be all over it.  Perhaps some of you have less willpower than I and can give us a review.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2008 06:05:53 PM »

I have that book!  I'll have to dig it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2008 06:08:02 PM »

Wow, it looks really interesting!  TheMistressT, is it as good as it looks?  I wonder if it would be at my library?  It would be fun to have a little read-a-long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
oneredboot
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2008 06:23:35 PM »

I've been thinking lately that this beautiful use concept is totally related to living an organic, sustainable lifestyle.  A bunch of new carrots with their frondy tops, one perfect apple from a local orchard, or a handful of brown eggs from the chickens we keep in the backyard--there are about the most beautifully useful things I know! 

I think it's not accidental that this swap fits the visual aesthetic of so many recent organic cookbooks / food revolution movements:  Grub, for example, or Super Natural Cooking, or Slow Food.  I think once you start thinking about the beauty of useful things in everyday life, you start thinking about making every useful aspect of your life beautiful--not only objects but everyday practices.  I love buying local produce because buying those dried herbs from the farmer's market this winter means the dreadlocked woman behind the stall can invest in 20 seed packets of that new kind of squash instead of five this spring.  And I love thrifting not only for the gorgeous and unusual things I find (today's windfall:  13 balls of Noro Silk Garden yarn for 99 cents each!), but because my money is not supporting poor labor practices and environmental disasters. 

Also, I think that beginning to notice beautiful useful things is really empowering in our lives--it really shows us that we CAN change things ever so slightly.  I read somewhere that happiness is only 10% about circumstances--the rest is up to us to actively  seek out and remember and notice the good things--not just some sort of positive thinking but finding the beautiful use that is around us!

OK, enough.  Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

[Super Natural Cooking:  http://www.amazon.com/Super-Natural-Cooking-Incorporate-Ingredients/dp/1587612755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201313541&sr=8-1
Grub:  http://www.amazon.com/Grub-Ideas-Urban-Organic-Kitchen/dp/B000OFOIX6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201313615&sr=1-2
Slow Food: http://www.slowfood.com/ ]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 06:24:23 PM by oneredboot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2008 06:44:02 PM »

It's a pretty cool book, yeah.  The stories that go with the objects are what make them as the beauty of some of them is greatly influenced by the owners sentiment or enthusiasm.  It's also interesting to read how the authors found the objects and selected those to include.  I was just noticing the price on the cover and know that I didn't pay full price for it.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a US$17.50's worth of book, but that statement is relative to budget.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violet_thistle
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2008 07:56:10 PM »

Lovely post oneredboot.

I started by thinking of food - the food in grocery stores. Where did it come from and how did it get here? I wanted a closer relationship with what I eat.  Among other things that we do, I have chickens in the backyard too.  But as I'm growing with the ideas surrounding food, ((I still shop for some things at the grocery store, but I'm working on it)) I'm also thinking about all the other things I use, where it comes from, and how it gets 'here'.  It rushes like a flooding river sometimes when one sees "things" and "belongings" differently.  I don't want things that are used once and thrown away.  I don't want to toss out "worn out" items that can be used differently and given a new life. 

Thanks to everyone who posted new books..I'll add them to my list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Trish

Quilter, beginning crochet,  beginning apparel sewing, learning to knit

My Etsy
My Wists
My Blog
maiziemama
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2008 09:03:03 PM »

Lovely post oneredboot.

Ditto.  
We are in good company.
Some of the most useful beautiful things I have collected are seeds from my own garden and gardens of others.

This thread has been inspiring me in so many facets.

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quilted
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2008 10:35:42 AM »

Hello All,

I have wanted to join this swap for a couple weeks, but I made myself wait until I had caught up with all other swaps and personal projects. I *just* addressed the last package, and now I'm ready to join! I'm off to fill out the questionnaire.

I just wanted to drop a quick line to say that this is an excellent idea for a swap, and that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread thus far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
violet_thistle
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2008 11:14:03 AM »

Welcome Quilted Smiley  I'm glad you are joining us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Trish

Quilter, beginning crochet,  beginning apparel sewing, learning to knit

My Etsy
My Wists
My Blog
superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2008 11:30:04 AM »

woo hoo! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 52 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Rock Hollywood Glam Finger Waves
Hair Trends: Sleek Ponytails
Brigitte Bardot Hair Tutorial
Bob Hair Trend At 2013 Emmys
Hair Loss In Women, A Growing Problem
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...